Bermondsey St honey

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 24 November 2011 5.26pm
Does anyone know how much this costs?

Related news & features

Friday 25 November 2011 11.15am
I think it's about £12 for a jar. Mrs ABC tells me it's good, but I didn't get a chance to find out before she finished it all.
Friday 25 November 2011 1.14pm
A quick search online reveals it's allegedly sold (but no prices given) by Cave in Bermondsey Street, and maybe other outlets - but can no doubt you can do that investigation for yourself.
Friday 25 November 2011 7.04pm

As the beekeeper responsible for Bermondsey Street Honey, I appreciate your interest. Sad to say, this year’s honey sold out a while ago, so a honey-hunting trip to Cave may be in vain.

I’m sure that it’s no secret that honey is a seasonal product with many variables affecting the outcome. Bermondsey Street Honey is produced from a high-health apiary in limited quantities. It is all sold locally: to Bermondsey Street’s veteran Delfina restaurant for use in their kitchen and, at the other end of the street, in Cave, the new flower/wine/chocolate arrival, at retail. My little joke is that we use “food yards”, not food miles, when talking about Bermondsey Street Honey, since both locations are within 150 yards of the apiary.

Anyway, to answer your question, AndyABC is about right - the honey retailed at £12.50 per jar (around £35 / kg) until it was awarded the “Best Honey In London” award at the National Honey Show in October 2011 , around when the retailer’s price (not mine!) increased to £15 per jar (£45 / kg). Unfortunately, my bees’ production is limited to my rooftop capacity, so cannot be scaled up significantly.

And it’s not cheap – let me be clear: you can get a “blend of EC and non-EC honeys” in squeezy plastic from Tesco’s for just £2.60 per unit (£7.80 / kg), - the choice is yours. Artisanal quality comes at a cost. The nice thing is that you don’t have to buy Bermondsey Street Honey – but you may be pleasantly surprised if you do!

The bees are now taking their winter break. Between now and July 2012, when I hope to have Bermondsey Street Honey back on the shelves, you can find out more at

Finally, a big thank you from the bees to SE1’s gardeners, park-keepers and allotment holders – great job, guys !
Saturday 26 November 2011 9.03am
Shame it's sold out. Will be first in line next year! Many thanks for the responses.
Saturday 26 November 2011 9.16am
What do they do on their winter breaks?
Saturday 26 November 2011 10.14am
Go to BarBEEdos!
Saturday 26 November 2011 10.22am
Sunday 27 November 2011 11.42am
Other sources of info about London produced honey:

Golden Company Honey is sold in B/Market on the last Saturday of each month while season lasts - about £6-7 quid a jar as I recall.
Sunday 27 November 2011 12.11pm
The Hive Honey Shop sells London honey.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: