Tesco OKR - New Trolleys

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 26 November 2011 11.37am
I'm not one for grumbling, but today there were a few Eastern European men in the car park of Tesco hassling customers for there trolleys so they could have the 1 coin. I went in and told security and he just shrugged his shoulders at me and said what do you want me to do.

Surely he should go out and move them on or call the police?

I have a charity coin for a trolley, but do feel sorry for the customers that feel pressurised in giving their trolleys to these men.
Saturday 26 November 2011 1.06pm
They had trolleys that required a coin some years ago and the car park was prowled by drunks and drug addicts. When they removed the coin mechanisms the beggars all disappeared. Might be worth complaining to the store manager and Tesco head office as I doubt the staff enjoy having these characters roaming around either.
Saturday 26 November 2011 3.47pm
Difficult to answer this one Pops, no one should have to suffer harrassment like that, the security guy is probably on minimum wage, and not unreasonably figures "why should I take a chance on a right hander or worse for the chicken-feed that I get?"
Even if the police deigned to turn up they are about as effective as a chocolate fireguard.
As soon as they had left it would no doubt start again.
Personally I would just ignore someone hassling me for the trolley, but that's just me, I can understand an older or frailer person giving it up for peace and quiet, or to avoid a confrontation.
Incidentally, and please, I mean no slight toward you, truthfully, but how can you be sure that the guys were of Eastern European extraction? Not that it matters where they were from, it's wrong no matter what.
I know a few words of Polish, and I can also recognise Russian when I hear it, but I'd be very hard pressed to differentiate Finnish from Romanian, or Ukrainian/Czech/Hungarian from a Basque dialect.
Saturday 26 November 2011 6.19pm
As well as the hassle of trolley bandits trying to intimidate you into parting with your trolley and the enclosed pound coin, there is also the possibility of them nicking the pound coin out of your trolley while you are browsing in the isles and maybe have left your trolley unattended a few feet away.
I have made a plastic token the same size as a pound coin and it works a treat.
Zoe
Saturday 26 November 2011 6.47pm
Tesco's could just let us have the trolley without paying a pound, as it's a right pain.
Saturday 26 November 2011 9.16pm
Zoe wrote:
Tesco's could just let us have the trolley without paying a pound, as it's a right pain.
Totally agree, I'm now more likely to take a hand basket due to lack of change and time faffing about returning the trolley; resulting in Tesco's getting less of my hard-earned - hurray!
Zoe
Saturday 26 November 2011 9.47pm
I went to Asda today as I didn't have a pound on me, which I'm sure wasn't their intention when they introduced it.
Sunday 27 November 2011 12.03am
When I was a bit more mobile I used to shop there regularly and the people asking "offering to take your trolley back" were really annoying, and not a little intimidating.

I was glad when they did away with the coin system, although it often meant a shortage of trolleys as shoppers were too lazy to put them back and I would have to go halfway up the car park to find one.

Other supermarkets seem not to have this problem with beggars, but that may be because their trolleys bays are better kept with more staff collecting the trolleys.

I always keep a token on my key ring in case I need it.
Monday 28 November 2011 12.16am
I went shopping @ tesco OKR on Saturday evening, luckily I had a pound and used the trolley, it was nice to be able to get one right outside without trawling all corners of the carpark, but the first thing that came to my mind was soon there will be drunks/addicts begging for the trolley to get the pound.

Needs to either have security or make the trollies free.... but i guess customers are to blame, can't be bother to carry shopping home so they just take the trolley and dump once home.

Make them free, employ a car/trolley park attendent! simple.
Friday 2 December 2011 2.14pm
Also annoyed to see the 1 deposit trolleys return.

I was on the lookout for the beggars but hadn't seen any yet.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: