BBC Radio 4 Food & Farming Awards

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 29 November 2011 8.20pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/ffa/2011/winners/

I had to smile when I read about the 2011 winners: Maltby Street was a finalist in the "Best Food Market" category. They said "...what we're looking for is the market that best serves its local community providing fresh, high quality and affordable food".

Now, I live just around the corner and I do love having the Maltby Street retailers on my doorstep. There's some truly wonderful stuff to be had there. But really, "affordable"?
Tuesday 29 November 2011 9.21pm
It is affordable to BBC producers who flock down from Islington and their multi-million pound mansions. What's your problem?
Wednesday 30 November 2011 9.45am
I assume they've got a good publicist who gets them nominated for these kinds of things.

I agree that it's ridiculous for M St to be nominated in this category. A real market has a wider variety of stalls, and has more than one supplier of main food items (veg, bread, meat, etc).

Maltby St may be the beginnings of a good market. At the moment, imho, it's an interesting "market-ette". I enjoy a mooch around there, (and I love the Kernel/cured meat combo) but it's not a place you could go for a proper shop.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 5 December 2011 9.57am
If you want a proper shop go to the small but perfectly formed Brockley Market in Lewisham College carpark every Saturday between 10 and 2pm. Have started trekking over there and doing my weekly shop. Sorry BM - and as much as I like Maltby St it certainly isnt a 'weekly shop' place.
Monday 5 December 2011 10.39am
I caught the end of the BBC programme yesterday, when they were talking about Bolton Market, the tone of the Presenters was patronising and toe-curling, though it did seem that this market fitted the affordable/serving local community category.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: