Retrospective ceiling hatches

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 1 December 2011 1.11am
just had my boiler serviced and was told that I have to get a few holes put into my ceiling for the gas pipe inspections.

has anyone done this yet? would like to see what others have done and also get recomendations on companies to call in to fit these unwanted hatches.

one every metre I believe! I suspect that due to a lot of buildings around se1 that are less than ten years old, this request will be one of many.
Monday 5 December 2011 11.15pm
I meant that this request would be one of man from other people - not that I would keep making the same request :-)

has no one else had the boiler flue thingy letter yet?
Tuesday 6 December 2011 12.21am
Hi Bloggie

Look on the Gas Safe Register website and that should give you more info. This is new legislation coming into force on 31st December 2012 for gas safety certificates. Basically if you don't have the hatches installed by then any Gas Safe registered engineer working on your boiler after 1st January 2013 will have no option but to class your boiler as "At Risk" and disconnect it until the hatches are installed. The hatches are to allow access for inspecting the full length of the flue so if your boiler is fitted directly on an outside wall the hatches will not be necessary.

I work for a letting agent so were having to arrange this for all our managed properties . The company we're dealing with for this is Gas Elec and they've produced guidelines for the size and number of hatches required - speak to Steven in the Area 20 office who cover SE1 and he should be able to help. Any Gas Safe registered engineer should be able to advise you I just know this company have got guidelines already as this is something I've been working on with them to clarify the requirements.

Hope this helps.
Tuesday 6 December 2011 1.41am
Gawd, how big do these new hatches have to be? For the reasonable percentage of us urbanite conversion-dwellers who have ceiling lights recessed into the same void as the flue, for instance, might those holes be adequate? Or will it become normal to look up inside a flat and see a run of otherwise pointless blank rectangles?

I'm all for safer gas use but confess to getting a bit sick of the rules being rewritten every other year or so, never mind the presumably expensive recent rebranding to Gas Safe from Corgi. Isn't there a smarter way of testing flue efficiency from the outlet point?

And Simon Hughes, whatever happened to the coalition's supposed "bonfire of the regulations"?
Tuesday 6 December 2011 9.02am
Boroman wrote:
And Simon Hughes, whatever happened to the coalition's supposed "bonfire of the regulations"?

Presumably a bonfire is exactly what we're trying to avoid here...?

I had these little hatches added when my boiler and flue were replaced a couple of years ago. My boiler is a couple of metres from an outside wall, so only two hatches were required, and they're only small, about 6 inches square.
Wednesday 11 July 2012 10.09pm
Did the original poster have any luck with his request? When I had an engineer came around last year to do a boiler service he said my boiler was fine but I wasn't 100% convinced so would like a second opinion.

After years of using Homeserve insurance to do an annual landlord's gas safety check, I've decided to find a Gas Safe engineer myself. However, it's a bit of a minefield as there are so many websites which vary markedly in price for a gas safety certificate and boiler service. I'm tempted to stick to the adage "if it's too good to be true" but at the same time don't want to pay over the odds!
Thursday 12 July 2012 3.01pm
Hi,

May I suggest Lawrence Bristow of Bristow Maintenance.

His gas safe register number is 537313

His mobile is 078660-557-769

www.bristow-maintenance.com
Thursday 12 July 2012 3.02pm
Double post
Friday 13 July 2012 10.21pm
dharle, I have had to have three hatches fitted. Went to gas safe register and bloke came and faffed about, made a mess and did not clear up well and have an extra couple of holes in the ceiling ! So much for that register; it doesn't mention when they sub let the work out.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: