Regeneration Study

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 15 April 2002 2.08pm
Hi everybody,
I am a student at the University of Central Lancashire and I am conducting a study of Urban Regeneration via Leisure Experiences. I have chosen Bankside because of its numerous leisure and tourism facilities.
What I am trying to find out is do these leisure experiences benefit the local population in terms of leisure participation opportunities. Does the local community use the facilities, are the facilities socially inclusive to the community. Why are the facilities such as the Millenium Bridge, the London Eye and the Tate Modern where they are, was the local community consulted.
Any information would be greatfull. I have already checked out many web sites and found lots of information though not much on public consultation.
Thanks in advance for any advice and information.
Best wishes
Eddie
Tuesday 16 April 2002 12.40am
i don't think you'll find much on public consultation - there has been some but objections are of small concern where there's money to be made.
Tuesday 16 April 2002 8.35pm
Have a look at my post on youth facilities. Its a nightmare. People on ordinary incomes cannot afford to use facilities such as the Eye, the IMAX and theatres except as a special treat. The crowds along the South Bank make a walk with small children very dificult. If kids - and others - are to be able to have happy and healthy lives they need to be able to access affordable facilities.

The current suggestion to site a leisure centre designed to serve a huge 'South-Central' area from Bermondsey to Stockwell on a site immediately behind LWT right on the South Bank, with very poor transport links to its supposed catchment, is curious. (Actually local people are usually much ruder.) The suspicion is that 10 million of regeneration and planning gain money will simply serve to create a gleaming new facility for office workers and residents of overpriced riverside flats.

That seems to be what 'they' want. And then they will complain when the kids hang round street corners and mug 'them'.

But it looks as if the accidental skateboard area underneath the bridge next to the Festival Hall has been save. The RFH wanted to make it into a car-park., but withdrew the proposal just prior to the Planning Committee. Pity they had to take some of our Metropolitan Open Land to park lorries on.
Wednesday 17 April 2002 9.27am
Thanks Kate, Sarah.
Public opinion is very useful

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: