Aesop Opened in Borough Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 9 December 2011 4.00pm
Dear residents of SE1,

Just to let everyone know. We have just acquired a store for global skin company Aesop in Borough Market (5 Park Street) who opened on Tueday.

They were founded in Australia and have stores all over the world including New York, Japan and USA.

There website is www.aesop.com - well worth a look!

Regards,

Acorn Commercial
Friday 9 December 2011 4.29pm
acorncommercial wrote:
Dear residents of SE1,
Just to let everyone know. We have just acquired a store for global skin company Aesop in Borough Market (5 Park Street) who opened on Tueday.

They were founded in Australia and have stores all over the world including New York, Japan and USA.

There website is www.aesop.com - well worth a look!

Regards,

Acorn Commercial

New York, Japan AND the USA! Wow. You had me at New York and Japan.
Friday 9 December 2011 4.55pm
Can i be the first person to add a slightly narky comment about yet another big global brand turning up in Borough Market regions?

Sure AESOP stuff is very nice, but we are now only a few years away from 100% Covent Garden-itis..

Dont really know what you can do about that, just having a bit of a moan.

Do they sell that Katie Price range of lip gloss?
Friday 9 December 2011 5.14pm
...another reason for me NOT to bother with Borough Market.
Friday 9 December 2011 5.56pm
"Empty vessels make most noise" is my favourite Aesop's fable
Friday 9 December 2011 6.20pm
Just came back from having my 5pm Monmouth coffee break and popped in to Aesop just to say hello and wish them good luck.Was given some samples of shaving serum.Didn't have the heart to tell them I buy Gilette shaving gel for 3.In as much as I am anti the big players usually,I hate seeing fiascos like "Best Italian" opposite them .Aesop told me they had a one year lease so maybe the Trustees would rather have rent than an empty unit for once.
Friday 9 December 2011 8.59pm
Aesop is a great brand and a good addition to SE1 - those not in favour perhaps have never tried their products
Friday 9 December 2011 10.24pm
Aesop products are excellent and they usually fit their shops out beautifully and individually so to a certain degree I think they're a welcome addition. I'm more surprised about the shift to non-food, started with Paul Smith I suppose and suspect it will increase. Although having said that, Shipps Tearooms and then briefly Best Italian was an electrical shop for years.

The corporate/chain thing is depressing but inevitable. It would be great if the trustees had some vision like the Howard de Walden Estate in Marylebone who don't just take the highest rent but then they've got other income whereas Borough Market has limited funds so they need to go for the money. They could so easily ruin it - hope it doesn't end up as a food theme park.
Saturday 10 December 2011 10.27am
As far as I know the remarks critcal of BM itself for the 'allowing' Aesop to set up near the market are wide of the mark. I understand that the building in question is owned by United St Saviour's, not The BM Trust. That charity also owns a number of other buildings in Park Street and whenever a lease is up for renewal it is an opportunity to maximise their return, so the larger 'chains' or businesses are the ones who can afford the rent. St Saviours are also currently rather too keen to maximise the usable space in the flats above the shops in Park St., and intend making long overdue 'improvements' (which should have been standard maintenance over the last dozen or more years) thereby opening the way to increase rents to their tenants - but that's another story.

Many of the high street multiples are homing in on the area on the back of the success of the market, so will set up shop as close as they can get!
Saturday 10 December 2011 11.15am
I'm not familiar with "global skin company Aesop" - are they furriers or leathersellers?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: