London Bridge Stalls

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 15 December 2011 4.27pm
I was crossing London Bridge today and was wondering what everyone thinks about the stalls on the South side of London Bridge. With the redevelopment of London Bridge Station and the building of The Shard and The Place will these look out of place in the future? I am guessing that they mainly cater to the tourists in the area but I don't really see many people ever buying anything when I am passing, although I suppose they must to stay in business.
Thursday 15 December 2011 7.14pm
i assume they are licensed? but agree urbanite - with the redevelopment they look totally out of place, pretty unsightly too
Friday 16 December 2011 9.16am
I'm not objecting to them....but they do look shabby...maybe an upgrade to some of those swish stainless steel (?) types you see occassionally - there's one next to Tower 42 in Old Broad Street - but they will look very poor IMHO come the redevelopment of the area.
Friday 16 December 2011 3.50pm
They could certainly benefit from some investment or being removed. All their customers are walking to / from the City so they have little benefit to us who live and work over this side of the river anyway, they just make a key gateway to SE1 look shabby. But then again Borough High Street is hardly a looker either...
Friday 16 December 2011 4.22pm
This is what Southwark's market strategy says about the stalls:

Quote:
There are four very low quality street stalls on the corner of Tooley Street [sic]. These stalls need to be a higher quality both in terms of visual appearance and goods on offer. There needs to be an enforcement regime especially with the ice cream sellers operating there.

Under 'actions and opportunities' it says:

Quote:
Secure funding to upgrade the receptacles/stalls that traders use prioritising securing funding to upgrade the kiosks at London bridge which is a key entrance to the borough.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: