Elephant re-development up the creek?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monkey Magic
Monday 15 April 2002 9.27pm
This is on SLR's website:

10/04/02 PRESS STATEMENT

It has been four years since we began our journey towards being a part of the regeneration of the Elephant & Castle. Following the formation of Southwark Land Regeneration Plc, a partnership between Frogmore and Godfrey Bradman and Nicholas Taylor, we have worked tirelessly to achieve what we believed to be the mutual objective with the London Borough of Southwark of providing a masterplan to meet the needs of the local community, produce a significant income for the local authority and yet make the whole exercise financially viable in our role as master developers. It took over a year from our selection as "preferred developer" to enter into the Cooperation Agreement and thereafter ten months have passed in negotiating the commercial terms. We fully understood the normal property risks associated with this exercise.

We had hoped that our proposal which was not approved last night would have been acceptable as it would have undoubtedly benefited the local community hugely. We hope that the 5m that we have spent to date will in some way provide the foundation for the local community to in the end receive the benefits they deserve.

We were throughout the process greatly encouraged by the cooperation and support which we received from a number of organisations and individuals locally together with the inspirational and inventive input from our professional consultants. We are disappointed not to be able to progress matters further at this stage.
Monday 15 April 2002 11.37pm
thanks monkey magic - it's music to my ears. elephant was always ok - even more so when it was pink.
Tuesday 16 April 2002 10.12am
where one has fallen, others will tread.
Wednesday 17 April 2002 4.14pm
Can anyone fill me in on the details of the disagreement? Why can't SLR and Southwark get along? The statement on the southwark.gov.uk website is a masterpiece of non-information. Presumably we can all stop getting excited/worried now, as nothing is going to happen at E&C for the foreseeable future. What a criminal waste of time, money & energy, though! Shame on all parties.
Dav
Wednesday 17 April 2002 4.22pm
I agree - when all is said and done & not withstanding the issues around relocation of local residents, the regeneration would have knocked down possibly the worst estate in the Uk as well as breathing new life into the area as opposed to the traffic choked and pretty dodgy place it is at the moment.
Wednesday 17 April 2002 9.23pm
It was a massive plan. I'm expecting something good to turn up in its place sooner or later, much as I love the current E&C mish mash of everything and everyone.

Were local people involved enough? What would be a better plan for the Elephant?

Catriona
Des
Tuesday 23 April 2002 4.51pm
I thought it was a great plan and felt that locals were involved, I especially thought the exhibition in the shopping centre of the different proposals was excellent. The re-location was a necessary consequence of regenerating the area and putting the traffic underground was a masterplan.

Any chance it will get revived after the elections??
JB Slacks
Wednesday 24 April 2002 8.51pm
Lets face it- anything involving the combined talents of that over-rated "delegate-then-take-the-credit-when-it-works-but-deny-all-knowledge-when-it-goes-wrong" bald fool who built the wobbly bridge, and Southwark Council was never going to get very far.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: