South Bank Christmas Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 21 December 2011 11.04am
Walked round the Christmas Market on South Bank and was a bit disappointed. It seems that there was a lot of cheap and nasty (though not cheap) mass produced stuff and lots of duplication on different stalls. There seemed very little evidence of original quality craft work bar one or two stalls. I suspect that some of the food stalls produce nice stuff but having just eaten, I did not sample any of it. Maybe a sign of the times - perhaps quality craft work is too expensive for a tourist Christmas market. Nice atmosphere though.

Related news & features

Wednesday 21 December 2011 11.23am
I thought the same Beverly, was there yesterday. Ended up having lunch in Giraffe, although that took 3 hours of my time to!!!
Wednesday 21 December 2011 6.36pm
It's bloody awful, not a Christmas Market but yet another collection of open air take away food stalls, with some very average 'craft' stalls which stretch the definition till it snaps. The smaller one outside City Hall was even worse.
Thursday 22 December 2011 10.54am
To be fair, we were in Hamburg the other week and the Christmas Markets there were almost entirely gluhwein, sausages, and gingerbread houses repeated again and again.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 22 December 2011 11.22pm
And I was in Paris last weekend and it was as dire there, except for one thing- the mulled wine was cheap and very very nice.
Friday 23 December 2011 10.42am
there was one near city hall a couple of years back... also totally rubbish!
Thursday 29 December 2011 2.19am
it's such a shame. I remember the frost fair a few years back along the river from the mayor's glass ball being rather wonderful with lots of original stalls and some pretty nifty recreated gladiator fighting in the theatre basement.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: