Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 21 December 2011 6.02pm
The cobblers have been in the E & C shopping centre for about 45 years and I have used it often and found them excellent for advice and repairs. Going in there yesterday spotted a sign that said they were closing March next year, asking why he said the rent,fees etc., would be increasing 500%! and if I heard him right the rent would be 2,500 pounds per week! at those increases how do they expect the small shops to survive...still Tescos will probably take over the shoe repairs, shopping bag sales...the little guys will be pushed out!

What a shame..
Wednesday 21 December 2011 7.12pm
Hi. That's such a shame. I don't know the place but had been hoping to find somewhere like that. I recently found the Cobbler's Nest on Redcross Way (southern end). Did need a certain amount of patience as he was understaffed at the time, but repaired well and he even makes shoes. He is also looking for a reliable assistant/colleague so perhaps let your place in E&C know - attempts at advertising the job hadn't produced anyone adequate!
Wednesday 21 December 2011 8.08pm
I suppose the collective noun for cobblers would be 'a load.'
Wednesday 21 December 2011 10.52pm
2,500 per week. That can't be right! That would be astronomical for a small shop locally. Anybody know?
Wednesday 21 December 2011 11.44pm
I was a regular user of that cobblers when I was at school and used to pass through the shopping centre on a daily basis. 2,500 is a ridiculous amount for such a tiny shop!
Thursday 22 December 2011 5.36pm
And I am sure that I heard him say the hairdressers upstairs would be closing too. Perhaps the South London Press could send a reporter round?
Thursday 22 December 2011 7.52pm
Now the place is going to be refurbished rather than razed, is this the owners' strategy? Price out the smaller tenants so they can knock through and turn it into an identikit corporate mall replete with Starbucks , Pret and suchlike.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: