Fancy a pint?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 30 December 2011 9.20pm
I intend to pop down to the Borough some time in the new year to visit a couple of museums. I shall need to take sustenance during my visit and wondered if anyone could recommend a nice pub for a pint of good ale and a ploughman's. I vaguely remember once visiting a pub which I think was called the 'Goose and Firkin,' and was renowned for brewing it's own beer. That was about thirty years ago when I was working in the City, so things may have changed. Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated and rewarded with a foaming pint if anyone would like to join me on the day.
Friday 30 December 2011 10.41pm
Royal Oak Pub on Tabard ST:

Friday 30 December 2011 11.31pm
I hope that you enjoy your day Chalkey when you visit Borough.
Unfortunately I cannot recommend anywhere that would help in your search for "good ale."
Try as I might, from the tender age of my early teens when I first managed to finagle my way into pubs right up until today, I just do not like the stuff, (beer that is, alcohol yes, but not beer.)
If I find myself in some foreign land where the temperatures exceed 30 Centigrade I may occasionally have one, or maybe two, never more, frosted bottles of what would no doubt be considered crap by the cognescenti, Sol/Corona/Coors etc.
I'm much more at home with Stolichnya/Absolut/Grey Goose/Belvedere, occasionally straight up, or with a modicum of ice.
Saturday 31 December 2011 12.18am
The Royal Oak for certain, or the Lord Clyde are my recommendations Chalkey.
It's difficult to find a good, old-fashioned pub these days but I love them both. Let us know when you're gasping and we'll meet up
Saturday 31 December 2011 7.29am
Chalkey the Goose & Firkin is now a pretty decent Shepherd Neame pub called the Duke of York. The best real ale pub is the multi-award winning Royal Oak in Tabard Street. Great Harvey's real ale, hearty pub grub and no annoying Sky TV or fruit machines. In summary a perfect traditional London Pub. Would agree with JayBee that the Lord Clyde is also a top pub and has been owned by the same family for over fifty years.
Saturday 31 December 2011 9.48am
Chalkey mate, there is a wonderful website here that can help you decide.

Just enter your location as "Borough" in the box provided and let the site do the rest.

Oh, there might be a few rude words - you are warned.
Saturday 31 December 2011 10.23am
Is the goose and firkin still at corner of borough road Chalkey? near the railway bridge..cant for the life of me think of the road it adjoins near the railway
Saturday 31 December 2011 11.46am
Thanks guys and gals. I think the Royal Oak is the choice.
Jan, according to billreese, (above,) it's now called the Duke of York. As I said earlier, it was best part of thirty years ago when I went for my first and only time and they brewed their own beer on the premises. I do recall that it was quite close to the corner of Borough High street. It was a real good old 'spit & sawdust' pub, with bare floorboards. I got the distinct impression that it was all done for that effect and not it's natural state. I'm guessing that it was newly taken over back then and re-furbed in the style.

BSB, if that's a few 'rude words,' what constitutes swearing? LOL.
Happy new year, all.

Saturday 31 December 2011 2.39pm
I think the last Firkin pub (say that fast and it'll sound rude) closed over 10 years ago. It was quite a decent sized chain and on site brewing was the norm. It was split up between Mitchell's & Butlers (Bass Pubs, O'Neills etc) ad Punch taverns.
Saturday 31 December 2011 2.59pm
The Duke of York (ex-Firkin) seems to be closed till new year and generally operates only Mon-Fri, with food available except on Friday evenings.

Great sausage and mash and other dishes, a pleasant and welcoming space too, though the ales on handpump could offer a better range.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: