Bank Holiday parking

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 2 January 2012 10.52pm
We made the mistake today to think that parking in Thrale Street on a Bank Holiday Monday should be no problem. Spent a couple of hours in the Tate Modern with my young family only to return to find a 130 parking ticket. I'm afraid no one can persuade me that this is nothing less than legalised extortion.
Monday 2 January 2012 11.56pm
I don't recall if Thrale Street is single or double yellow, but according to Southwark's Parking Guide web page, the double yellow restrictions apply on Bank Holidays.
January 2nd. was a Bank Holiday as New Year's Day fell on a Sunday this year.
As much as I sympathise with you Michael, double yellows are a veritable minefield and should be avoided like the plague.
Of course it's easy for me to be wise after the event.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/473/guide_to_parking/467/general_parking_rules/1
Monday 2 January 2012 11.59pm
I'm sorry an outing with the family has cost you dear. I thought single yellow line parking on a Bank Holiday was permitted in the area - I'm sure there were cars parked in Redcross Way today. Perhaps you were parked in a residents parking bay, then restrictions operate every day. Obviously, a sign should be displayed in any case.
Tuesday 3 January 2012 12.21am
You got a higher level penalty which should only apply if you parked dangerously or on double yellows. Merely parking in a resident's bay (there is one on Thrae Street) should, I belie, only attract an 80 penalty which if paid within 14 days reduces to 40. You'd need to appeal the initial fine to get it reduced though. Parking on a single yellow (which covers most of the street) would have been free unless you parked on the single yellow opposite to the resident's bay which I guess they would regard as dangerous.
Tuesday 3 January 2012 12.59pm
Sorry to hear about the PCN, I'd forgotten to move my vehicle off the single yellow line outside my house last week Tuesday, only to wake up and find a ticket on the car, the holiday period confused me.

My ticket showed a 130 fee, 65 pounds payable if i pay within 14 days, does anyone know if this is correct for parking on a single yellow line? I thought it was 40, I tried to find information on Southwark website but nothing.
Tuesday 3 January 2012 1.47pm
hmeah wrote:
My ticket showed a 130 fee, 65 pounds payable if i pay within 14 days, does anyone know if this is correct for parking on a single yellow line? I thought it was 40, I tried to find information on Southwark website but nothing.

Southwark Council applies parking penalties set by London Councils - and the penalties are the same across London.

I think the info you require is here.
Tuesday 3 January 2012 2.27pm
From what I understand single yellow line parking is allowed only when parking bays do not charge...usually after 6.30pm and until 8.00am M-F (or Sat) and all day Sunday BUT if you park on a single yellow line when the charge is simply "suspended" i.e. on a public bank holiday you may still be fined. You can park in the designated parking areas and use them for free on bank holidays. Not as simple as we would all hope but I'm guessing this is what has happened.
Tuesday 3 January 2012 2.48pm
michael undin wrote:
We made the mistake today to think that parking in Thrale Street on a Bank Holiday Monday should be no problem. Spent a couple of hours in the Tate Modern with my young family only to return to find a 130 parking ticket. I'm afraid no one can persuade me that this is nothing less than legalised extortion.

In which case, I definitely wouldn't suggest you consider the view that the onus is on the driver to check that they won't get a ticket before they park the car.

(See the Mandela Way thread) it seems to be becoming a popular hobby for people to park where restrictions apply, and then spend more time complaining about the "injustice" of getting a ticket than it would have taken to check the parking conditions in the first place.

Just to clarify, I've got no love of parking wardens and no agenda to support why/where/when yellow lines are in operation. But, because I know that there are lots of wardens and that they are "keen" to enforce parking conditions wherever possible, I make damn sure I check out the parking conditions when parking. If I'm in doubt about somewhere, I wouldn't park there.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 3 January 2012 4.04pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
If I'm in doubt about somewhere, I wouldn't park there.

That's the thing though - I often find it very unclear what parking conditions are, and we're not exactly spoiled for parking spots. I usually ask a traffic warden if there is one around, but you hardly see them when you need them. Hiding behind the corner I guess, waiting to enforce...
Tuesday 3 January 2012 8.46pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
If I'm in doubt about somewhere, I wouldn't park there.

That's the thing though - I often find it very unclear what parking conditions are, and we're not exactly spoiled for parking spots. I usually ask a traffic warden if there is one around, but you hardly see them when you need them. Hiding behind the corner I guess, waiting to enforce...

It is frustrating and confusing, however. Westminster (which at councillor level at least is trying to restrict on street parking) includes a very clear table for the holiday period confirming what derogation from usual restrictions applied over the holiday period. Inter alia, pay parking and single yellows were free and available last Tuesday. Having consulted the Southwark website, I would suggest that it was anything but clear. That said, if in doubt don't park or don't quibble over the fines is my general approach. Given the tourist attractions in Southwark, I do think it is incumbent on the local authority to provide clearer guidance.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: