email to south'council

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 10 January 2012 8.43pm
How long should it take the council to respond to an priority e-mail sent on the 21/12/11? that day I received a court summons because I had paid my tax on the 12th instead of the 1st., my own fault but I had to wait for my pension to go in. I phoned straight away and apologised etc., and said that as I had not received a reminder and as I had paid the amount out standing could the court thingy be with drawn, the girl said she had no authority to stop the court appearance and that I should write in... well I did and still have not received a reply.

As I am disabled and in very very poor health will I still have to go to court? even though I have had no reply from my e-mail?
Tuesday 10 January 2012 10.22pm
The council has a private company dealing with it now. As far as I am aware, and don't quote me, the summons is meant to 'put the wind up you.' I would either call back or use this form to put a formal complaint in via this link:

They are a nightmare. I cannot tell you how many hours I have wasted chasing responses.

I also suggest contacting Simon Hughes, MP, if it persists. He has an obligation to help and considering you are in poor health, I would imagine him leaping into action!

Hope it helps!
Wednesday 11 January 2012 8.50am
Sorry Jan that is appauling you get a summons for being a few days late when there are people in the Borough who never pay. Even if it is designed to "put the wind up you" it is horrifying that people are getting a summons in such circumstances-pensioners that are ill or disabled etc who may not be able to make it one week to pay will have the living daylights scared out of them by the thought of being taken to court.

perhaps a reminder would be more fitting.
Wednesday 11 January 2012 9.07am
That is appalling, in this day and age. I recall that when I was a council tenant, I paid my rent by Direct Debit. Every couple of months, always on a Saturday, I received a letter telling me I was in arears, when I wasn't.

This was due to the payment not showing on my account for 6 weeks - but the money was in their account within 2 days!

Clearly, computerisation has made the situation worse - but once you have contacted them, they have a duty of care to assist you and point you in the right direction.

Yes, get in touch with Simon Hughes and also the Leader of the Council.

Happy New Year, Jan. Nil desperandum!
Wednesday 11 January 2012 9.36am
11 days late paying your council tax and they are taking you to court. Thats awful. It must be costing them more to do that than what you actually had to pay. Cant you speak to our local MP???
Monday 16 January 2012 10.14am
Just to let every body know that this problem has been sorted out, a charming young gentleman contacted me as the post had been seen by a member of southwark council who realised that a mistake has been made..
Would would I do without this Forum..:-)
Monday 16 January 2012 10.39am
Great news, Jan! Delighted to hear your good news :-)

I hope you're keeping warm during this cold snap!
Monday 16 January 2012 10.47am
I'm really happy to hear that this got resolved for Jan, as I've just sent in two emails to Southwark Council myself in response to a 95 fine for being late in paying my Council Tax (never mind the Court Summons and threats of bailiffs etc).

My own fault for being a busy working person and missing the post, I paid it a few days later, and all payments areup to date, so it does seem somewhat unreasonable to hit people with big sticks when they are actually paying up to big sums of money on a monthly basis.

Maybe there's hope.
Monday 16 January 2012 2.52pm
Great news, Jan.
I've been following this thread, but biting my tongue. (Never too old to learn.) Glad it's all resolved, but a shame you had to go through all that stress and anxiety first.
Monday 16 January 2012 3.19pm
I had a court summons from Lambeth Council via Crapita because I was paying my monthly council tax on the 15th when I got paid each month (I work for another local council) instead of the 1st of each month. I had paid on the 15th for yeard with no trouble but when Crapita got the contract I got a court summons no warning. I phoned them up and they only agreed to cancel it if I agreed to a direct debit on the 1st. No compromise. Bullies the lot of them

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: