Sad-looking Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9
boroughonian Friday 27 January 2012 1.20pm
I see the carpet shop is hanging on in there,how long's that been there?
Bel Ludovic Friday 27 January 2012 8.32pm
Here we go - I've found something.

The GLA has a programme called the Outer London Fund, a 50 million fund for areas that won't benefit from either Crossrail or the Olympics. As we're in inner London, I doubt TBR would qualify, but one example of the fund's use - in Willesden Green - could serve as a model for TBR if funding could be found elsewhere.

In the Willesden Green project, architects were commissioned to design new shopfronts - with a budget of only 3000 per store. According to Building Design magazine, despite the limited budget for the improvements, "shop-owners are reporting an increase in trade". One of the architects involved is quoted as saying "We were surprised how far the money went. The transformation of the high street is amazing."

More info here.
james127 Friday 27 January 2012 9.45pm
Great idea!
orione Sunday 29 January 2012 9.59am
The problem with betting shops is always the same . Some people think the money goes where people spend some other believe that if you plan consciously people will also learn and have the opportunity to shop differently.
I believe in a mix of the two. Betting shops when they spread they add nothing to the community. On top you can do that on line.!!! What a waste of space.
boroughonian Sunday 29 January 2012 1.08pm
Betting shops provide warm dry space so that local workers can eat their lunch in peace,I thought that was what they were for and that the gambling aspect was secondary.
Ivanhoe Sunday 29 January 2012 5.15pm
orione wrote:
The problem with betting shops is always the same . Some people think the money goes where people spend some other believe that if you plan consciously people will also learn and have the opportunity to shop differently.
I believe in a mix of the two. Betting shops when they spread they add nothing to the community. On top you can do that on line.!!! What a waste of space.
sorry but that's ridiculous.

...if you press it, they will come.
orione Sunday 29 January 2012 6.24pm
Ivanhoe thank you for your comment. Ridiculous is a word I wouldn't use.
Your arrogance in comments like this does not compare to anyone.

I believe in what I say because it is done somewhere else.

People need also to be educated how to chose. For exmaple:

if you are a drunker and you kill yourself with beer... I can build more pubs and make more money.

Instead I can also open continental bars, where you drink and eat, and teach you that you may do both things together. This has happened already in London since few years.

So I still make money (even more) but I change the style and the outline of the street..

I know it is hard for you to accept but it happens everywhere in London, in many sectors.

In the case of betting shop you could just put a cap per area to limit the number. So you would still have some and you could enjoy them, but people like me could have other stuff to chose from because I can guarantee, many people would rather have something else than a betting shop.

It is not Science fiction although your arrogance in comments would like to make it appear like that.

Thank you anyway for commenting
boroughonian Sunday 29 January 2012 7.12pm
Concluding that because you don't use something then it doesn't bring anything to the community is incredibly arrogant if you ask me,there has been betting shops in TBR since betting shops existed,they have always contibuted to the community,sorry if it doesn't to yours it does to mine.
But who am I?I've only lived here for 50yrs +.
orione Sunday 29 January 2012 9.21pm
Oh my god.. not again the "I was here before!".. typical many times in this forum (only certain users though).

I am off this thread than as I am here only since 2003 and on this forum only since two years.. Think what you wish. It does not bother me. It was just a suggestion.

Thank you anyway.
Ivanhoe Sunday 29 January 2012 9.30pm
boroughonian wrote:
Concluding that because you don't use something then it doesn't bring anything to the community is incredibly arrogant if you ask me .
exactly. And to say that there's no point in having shops for businesses which have an online presence is ridiculous.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions