Bicycle racks on Bermondsey Street outside White Cube

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 11 January 2012 10.56pm
A little while ago I was happy to see quite a few new cycle racks cropping up all along Bermondsey Street. There's a couple in front of Pizarro, and several in front of the "fence" surrounding the White Cube. There's great demand for secure cycle parking in that area, however on walking past yesterday I noticed the stands in front of the White Cube were covered up. They had a sign attached to them saying not to lock a bike there as the council was going to remove them.

Does anyone know anything about this? It seems bizarre that the council would remove these very useful stands - after all, they put them there barely a month ago...
Wednesday 11 January 2012 11.08pm
Don't look now, but a pair of cycle "racks" have appeared next to the railings at Tanner Street Park, opposite Al's. Just 50 yards from White Cube.

Performance art or just spooky?
Thursday 12 January 2012 9.35am
I think the width of pavement outside the white cube was a little tight for bikes and pedestrians.
Thursday 12 January 2012 11.16am
Southwark Cyclists meeting reported that White Cube had paid for those to be removed and replaced with the new racks they have provided, fearing that people will lock up on their fancy new fence.

I fear they have misunderstood how the human mind works, the absence of cycle racks probably makes it more likely, not less.
Thursday 12 January 2012 3.13pm
Thanks for the info, jamesup, I suspected the White Cube might be behind this... Which new racks are you referring to? I noticed there were some to the side of the gallery, down Lamb Walk. While it's commendable that there are quite a few spaces, a hidden corner in a badly lit side street wouldn't be my first choice to lock a bike. Looks like a case of aesthetics winning out over practicality. Personally, I think of bikes as improving the look of any space, but I realise I might be biased!
Thursday 19 January 2012 9.56am
I've been up to White Cube Bermondsey a few times since they opened and I've never had a problem locking my bike up as there are about 20 bike racks on Lamb Walk which I assume were installed by White Cube as they run alongside the side of the gallery. Surely if they have put more in to replace the two on the road that is good thing.
Thursday 19 January 2012 9.59am
I think the lamb walk racks are the replacement.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: