Oysters in the Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 12 January 2012 4.06pm
My son came home today with a massive oyster he found in the Thames sand... I know Samuel Pepys talks about oysters from the Thames in his diaries, but still, how odd!
Thursday 12 January 2012 11.50pm
where in the thames?, theres plenty out riverhead way.
it would be great if they are coming further up.
Friday 13 January 2012 1.12am
bigphil wrote:
where in the thames?, theres plenty out riverhead way.
it would be great if they are coming further up.
The little "beach" opposite the Globe. And it really is massive. Might post a picture tomorrow.
Friday 13 January 2012 9.39am
That can only be good news, guys. It surely means the river is becoming more and more cleaner. I doubt we will ever see salmon off Greenwich Pier, as also in Samuel Pepys' day, but oysters are a step in the right direction. Perhaps we will one day see starfish on Southend beach again, as I used to in my childhood. I know there have been a few experimental fishing sessions opposite the Houses of Parliament in recent years and apart from a few dabs and flounders, there's been the odd roach turn up I believe. So fish are entering London from both directions.
Friday 13 January 2012 1.02pm
Oysters are no indication of clean water. They thrive in dirty water and are even used to help clean up rivers as they act as very good filters bit like a mini sewage treatment plant. I wouldn't eat this one. I've read oysters were once so plentyful In London that apprenticies in the many livery companies in London would complain that the were given too many oysters to eat as well as salmon
Friday 13 January 2012 2.25pm
Oysters, historically, were food for the London poor.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 13 January 2012 4.40pm
I once ate 32 oysters at the Oyster and Seafood festival, which unfortunaltely is not being held any longer... I actually think I'll pop this one back into the river.
Tuesday 5 March 2013 7.59pm
We found one under Tower Bridge at low tide this week, the size of a very large cornish pasty. I thought it was solid stone but today it started opening a bit, smells dreadful and is attracting flies!
Zoe
Tuesday 5 March 2013 9.01pm
I really think 32 oysters is a bit too many
Tuesday 5 March 2013 10.38pm
Zoe wrote:
I really think 32 oysters is a bit too many
I enjoyed every single one of them...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: