Is there a topic anywhere on "old SE1"?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 13 January 2012 8.20am
Is there a topic anywhere on here about "old" S.E.1. ? Would love to read postings from people who lived in the area many years ago.

I lived in S.E.1. from 1955 until 1972 and it was a great place to live, especially growing up in my teenage years. Moved away well after I was married.
Friday 13 January 2012 9.30am
Hi, Pat.
There's lots of stuff on the 'Queen's Buildings, Scovell Road' thread for one, and 'Jan the old one,' 'Auntie Pat', et al, and I have chewed the fat many times about the Old Kent Road etc., from way back in the 1950's. Just a case of a little search. Although I was officially SE17, the SE1 postcode was only the width of the Old Kent Road away from my front door. I have lots of memories of the place form childhood. If there's anything specific you were looking for, I may be able to help.
Cheers.
Friday 13 January 2012 10.29am
A few threads that might be of interest:

* Early life in Bermondsey
* Old Kent Road & East Street
* Tommy Steele - Bermondsey Boy
* SE1's lost cinemas
* Brighton Buildings, Tower Bridge Road (& Hastings, Worthing, Arundel Buildings, etc)
* Queen's Buildings
* The Bombed Baths
* Old Photos
* St Stephen's Church, Manciple Street

All of the above threads - and many more - have lots of local reminiscences in them - not necessarily restricted to the subject indicated by the thread title.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 13 January 2012 10.31am
Pat Martin wrote:
Is there a topic anywhere on here about "old" S.E.1. ? Would love to read postings from people who lived in the area many years ago.
I lived in S.E.1. from 1955 until 1972 and it was a great place to live, especially growing up in my teenage years. Moved away well after I was married.

Try Bermondseyboy.net Great site!!
Friday 13 January 2012 6.20pm
Hi Pat,

as the others have said, there are quite a few threads on this site as well as Bermondseyboy.

Whereabouts in SE1 did you live?
Saturday 14 January 2012 8.49am
Hi Chalkey and Aunty Pat, thanks for your replies.

Chalkey, I know "Jan the old one" VERY well. We were good friends from when I was 19, so not too far short of 50 years. Did I really say 50 years ! LOL I've just "reconnected" with her through this site, after a long gap.

There is no specific places that I was interested in, just general. I lived in Crampton Street, (the road opposite Manor Place baths, S.E.17.) until I was about 12, but I still continued to go to Nelson school, Walworth Road, until I left in 1959. We moved to Long Lane, The Borough, around 1955/6.

Aunty Pat......I lived in Long Lane, The Borough, S.E.1..
Saturday 14 January 2012 11.29am
@Pat Martin - There is Now and Then Walworth on Facebook which you might find interesting, great photos and lots memories from past and present residents.
Saturday 14 January 2012 8.07pm
Thanks so much Eileen. I found that site about a month ago and just love it. Love all the old photos on there too.
Saturday 14 January 2012 8.09pm
Some good sites there too James.
Saturday 14 January 2012 8.21pm
Pat,
I remember Crampton Street. Had a mate by the name of Tony Withers who went to that school in the mid 1950's. He was a year or so younger than me, so will be in his early sixties now. Do you remember the fish and chip shop opposite Manor Place Baths next to the old Duke of Clarence pub? They wouldn't sell you chips without Fish! Agony when you came out of the baths after a good old swim and was starving hungry. It made it worse coz you could smell the chips frying across the road.
I also went to Nelson School, but left in 1962. Got lots of memories of the old teachers which, if you'd like to share, we'd perhaps better exchange by pm, rather than be esoteric on this thread.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: