Trinity Church Terrace

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 14 January 2012 2.56pm
It may not be often that someone on a local community forum unequivocally praises a new development rather than grumbling about it, but there is an example in SE1 that is nearing completion and which I believe deserves a doff of the cap: Trinity Church Terrace, between Trinity Church Square and Merrick Square.

On any given vacant site, I'd normally much rather see a good contemporary building than a dull, safe pastiche that lamely tries to 'fit in'; see nearby Portland Court for an example of the latter, and by no means the worst offender either.

And yet the detailing of Trinity Church Terrace is so accurate that I can't help but be mightily impressed. The style and dimensions of the terraces on Trinity Church Square have been replicated with unusual precision, even down to the windows, brick coursing and pointing (an area where most pastiches usually give the game away).

Give it ten years to 'age' a bit and the new visitor to this conservation area would never guess that TCT wasn't built at the same time as the rest of the square. This, to me, is more of an achievement than applying a standard contemporary formula of modernistic lines, timber or Trespa panelling, bar-code windows, etc. so visible on new developments elsewhere.

I know there will be criticism of the types of properties these are, and the tenure, etc; they're unashamedly aimed towards the top end of the market. It would be nice to think that blocks of affordable housing could be designed with such care, but it's not hard to guess why this usually isn't possible.

There are some sites in some conservation areas where this approach, executed this well, is preferable to something more contemporary, and this is one of them. London would be a more boring place if this formula were repeated too often, but for this particular development, on this particular site, I think credit where credit's due for a development that genuinely enhances the conservation area.

(No connection to developer, contractor or architect, btw!)
Saturday 14 January 2012 2.58pm
Is there something unusual about the tenure? (I have no idea what it is.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 14 January 2012 3.01pm
Well said, I think they have done a tremendous job also.
Sunday 15 January 2012 1.24am
I agree with you -- it looks fabulous.

And, I would submit, given the devastation of many parts of SE1 by modernist or brutalist garbage architecture, that there is an opportunity as part of the E&C regeneration (and my dream regeneration of the space that will be freed up when the Bricklayer's flyover is demolished) to build a lot more developments just like this one -- as compared to the modern flats covered in tin.

And, I reckon these could be built for individuals of all income levels. Just pleasant, Georgian-style, three-story typology buildings -- for example, this kind of residential would look great on NKR where those horrid brown brick garages are before Bartholomew ST.
Sunday 15 January 2012 5.32pm
Yes they do indeed look great - now, where can I find the 2.5 million to buy one of them !!
Sunday 15 January 2012 10.20pm
Indeed, very well executed.
Monday 16 January 2012 3.49pm
615,000 for a 700sqft 1 bedroom? In this part of town?? The mind boggles!!
Monday 16 January 2012 9.56pm
There is social housing in this block on the ground and basement accessed from the Trinity St, all the property for sale will be accessed through the gated entrance. The terrace does look fantastic , I have been round the show house and now just waiting to win the lottery so I can reserve a property.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: