Demolition of 21 Webber Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Sunday 15 January 2012 8.03pm
The owner of 21 Webber street has put in a notification of demolition to the council. This is one of the last historical buildings in Valentine Place/Row, after the demolition of 1860s warehouses by the same landowner last year and Travelodge across the road the year before. The same owner also currently already has a large construction going on next to the proposed demolition site at 102-7 Blackfriars Road.
If you like heritage buildings and are a fan of preserving the area's local character please write to the council officer to object.
You may also live or be a business nearby in which case you may want to object on the grounds that a demolition site and construction site at the same time will be hellish and disruptive.
The building was recommended for listing in 2007, local residents are arguing that it should go to a planning committee and that at least a planning application for a new building needs to be put in before demolition is considered.

Planning officer is Fennel Mason
Details of planning application - 11/PA/0026
Monday 16 January 2012 5.05pm
In case anyone's wondering, this is the building under discussion:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 16 January 2012 7.20pm
There's so many nice old building around that area that will probably lost too new build glass and tinted wood et al. 21 Webber St is particularly nice. One of my favourite streets near there is Glasshill St. Just a grimy backstreet with the railway bridge, some old warehouses, a taxi mending garage. Vintage Southwark with atmosphere still.

Monday 16 January 2012 8.09pm
Glasshill St, is a favourite of mine too. The fact that it is pretty much always empty of life, other than the odd pigeon makes for an evocative feel. I'm interested in that photo, is it yours? It seems to have been taken at some considerable height.
Monday 16 January 2012 8.32pm
Not mine. Screen grab from Streetview! Good shot though! Glasshill St also used as lazy toilet for resting taxi and delivery drivers. Pretty grim some days...
Monday 16 January 2012 8.38pm
Looks like the Google Streetview shot.

I agree about this area. Unique.
Monday 16 January 2012 8.39pm
Clash of posts!
Monday 16 January 2012 9.38pm
We're in danger of getting off-topic, but it's worth mentioning this useful tool for creating static images from Google's Street View imagery which can legitimately be embedded in web pages, forum posts etc within Google's terms of service. Also much less fiddly than taking a screen shot, cropping it and uploading it. The only drawback is that if/when the Street View imagery is updated, the static image may not show the exact building or feature you were trying to illustrate.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 17 January 2012 12.41am

That whole side of Glasshill under the bridge until the Almshouses is temporary artists studios right now as it awaits a large new development that will demolish the inner buildings. Shame as their is some great cobbles within the yard plus possible fragments of an old cobbled street. Also it's just a nice collection of Victorian workshops. Very utilitarian, function but a nice atmosphere there.

More off-topic.Sorry!
Saturday 21 January 2012 3.00pm
hello. there is a petition to save the building - at the moment it is in old-fashioned, paper form. tell me a name and we will add it. online version coming soon!

love glasshill street. so sad about the warehouses.
still sad about the terraced houses demolished to make way for that big silver building on southwark bridge road

also shame about the hideous notting hill trust building going up on blackfriars settlement site - fair enough they need to redevelop - just shame about the aesthetics of the building, so ugly
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: