Time and Talents

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 15 January 2012 8.23pm
Hello lovely SE1-ers

Have any of by any chance come across Time & Talents?

For the uninitiated, you might have noticed a beautiful, ornate sign in stone on one of the buildings on Bermondsey Street opposite Zucca, that reads 'Time and Talents Settlement'. I got curious and googled it.

They are a charity - founded in the 1900's as memory serves - that have done lots of community development for Bermondsey & Rotherhithe.

They are still in existance and are doing some really good, local work. I've volunteered to run the London Marathon to help raise funds for them.

I'm putting together the inevitable fundraising web page & am going to approach some local businesses. I'd really like some direct experiences to include if I can find anything.

If you've come across them, please could you let me know what your experience was. Anything that could help illustrate my appeal and bring it to life would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Monday 16 January 2012 12.41am
It's a fantastic organisation with a variety of projects, from youth groups to older people's groups. If you want to get involved with your local community and meet local people I can't think of a better way of doing it.

They also do stuff like yoga and tai chi, and the local history group which meets monthly is great - a great introduction to the history of the area.
Monday 16 January 2012 10.03am
I attended there in 1955, they had some visiting Americans, a young couple from some parts who were very much into the white,negro divide. I think in the news there had been some trickling through of the troubles in alabama,little rock type. Even then I had a sense of injustice and remember telling them how could you not like people or think less of them just because of skin colour? they then spent ten minutes telling me what happened if you had a baby with a black man, the child would come out with different uneven patches of skin! They must have seen the look on our faces and gave up their lectures.....
Wednesday 18 January 2012 9.42am
Thank you, Jan and Pat. Please can I quote you?

Any more thoughts / memories v gratefully received :-)
Wednesday 18 January 2012 10.45am
Lullylush, you can quote me if you think anyone would find that interesting! seriously I will ask one of my friends who I used to go there with she has a much better memory than I.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: