Rust spots on vehicles

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 16 January 2012 6.17pm
Has anyone suffered from what looks like metal filings on their vehicle?
My white carr is parked in Toolley Street on a daily basis. It has been returned to Lexus for examination.
The result is that tiny metal particles have been found all over the vehicle and have caused many small rust spots over the bodywork. The result is that the car needs a total respray... Nice,as the car is 5 months old !!!!!!
My previous car also suffered the same fate but the tiny rust spots did not show up so much as this vehicle was a different colour.

Is anyone aware of anything similar....don't really know where to go from here,but suspect the construction of the Shard.

HELP!!!!!!
Monday 16 January 2012 10.50pm
If your car is in warranty and you're not paying for a respray then perhaps its worthwhile. But otherwise these iron filings, which are from braking trains (Tooley St is next to the tracks) usually, might be removed with a clay bar or this Autoglym product: http://www.autoglym.com/engb/product-proddetail.asp?v06VQ=LFK&Range=3
Tuesday 17 January 2012 6.46am
Hi Colinio,

Thanks for your info.

Sadly Lexus are refusing a warranty claim,so the cure/respray is down to me!!

I am aware of the clay product and will look into the autoglym product you refer to.

I am also going to contact a franchised car valeting company to enquire whether they have come across this before.

The rust specs really are quite bad and appear to have embedded into the actual paintwork.Really disappointing as I ensure the car is clean and waxed every couple of weeks or so.

I was thinking about posting an actual note on vehicles in Tooley street as I can't be the only person effected.

Thanks again for your reply,

Andrew
Tuesday 17 January 2012 9.33am
Hi Andrew, it may also be worth giving this cleaning product a go http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/cquartz-ironx-500ml/prod_726.html

It's specifically designed for an issue such as yours. I have no link to the product but have used it on my own car with very good results.

Best of luck
Tuesday 17 January 2012 11.28am
Colinio wrote:
these iron filings, which are from braking trains (Tooley St is next to the tracks)

I live just off Tooley Street and am wondering what happens if you breath this stuff in?
Tuesday 17 January 2012 11.31am
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Colinio wrote:
these iron filings, which are from braking trains (Tooley St is next to the tracks)

I live just off Tooley Street and am wondering what happens if you breath this stuff in?

Me too.
Tuesday 17 January 2012 2.17pm
Hi Gelicate,

Thanks for the product recommendation, I'm going to give it a try.
Have read up about it and potentially may be the cure.

Andrew
Tuesday 17 January 2012 6.10pm
I think it is worth remembering that even when resprayed the same will happen, unless you cover the car up. I am not sure that the overpriced paint protection compounds that car dealers try to sell, will prevent this, though it could be worth looking into.

Indeed I think it's when the paint is new that it's most vulnerable - it's not absolutely 'set'. Modern eco friendly water based paints are the culprit. May also be in hot weather.

Let us know how it goes I might look for spots on my car though it's not near the railway and is also a dark colour.
Tuesday 17 January 2012 8.40pm
I'd get someone like Paul http://www.miracledetail.co.uk to have a look at it (he's not cheap, but does an excellent job)
You're never going to prevent the train deposits from damaging your car unless it's covered.
If your car genuinely has been waxed frequently then there's a good chance that the rust spots are iron deposits on the top of the paint and can be removed with a little [professional] effort.
Very few people take any notice of their paintwork in central London, so even though many others will be affected you're probably the only one that cares or notices!
Wednesday 18 January 2012 10.23am
The name's Dalton... Paul Dalton. I'll never see a car wash the same way again.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: