Bakerloo Line Extension: No Promises

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 17 January 2012 10.45pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5781

I think it's a real shame that this isn't happening sooner rather than later -- north London gets the Crossrail, but south London doesn't even get half a tram.

Buses are so full to capacity that they routinely can't accept any more passengers halfway through the route.

I would submit that if the mayor is going to routinely delay rail improvements for this part of the city, he will need to consider bus rapid transit, which means giving buses REAL bus-only lanes (i.e. closing London Road to all but bus traffic, etc.). Maybe having to take space from cars for buses -- with the associated ramifications for "smoothing" -- would make him change his mind.
Wednesday 18 January 2012 7.36am
We lived in Camberwell for years, and our dream was for the Tube to come...the tunnels apparently even exist. South London seems to be for ever the poor relation.
Wednesday 18 January 2012 8.29am
Indeed - a real shame - it'd make such a difference to areas with no proper public transport. And half-decent public transport is the best way to improve a poor area and the lives of people living in it. Tube station at Bricklayers Arms would improve the bottom end of TBR in a minute!
Wednesday 18 January 2012 1.06pm
Closing London Road to all be buses and cycles is part of the TfL (unfunded) plan. This will come to ahead over the redevelopement of the roundabout - LL is not willing to pay.
Wednesday 18 January 2012 1.16pm
I'm in Watford today. On the tube. How come it foes so far north, but not south east?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 18 January 2012 1.26pm
Well there you go,Ivanhoe...our point exactly.
Wednesday 18 January 2012 1.28pm
A bunch of reasons, but most of all:

Because it was built by a private company that was mopping up demand that the mainline railway companies north of London weren't interested in (as they were heading to the midlands and points north). In South London the railways didn't have many places to head for, so they focused on a dense commuter network. The Metropolitian railway went further, building new suburbs and linking them to it's network, making money on the homes and the tickets.

Before the tube London was south heavy, with big suburbs like Crystal Palace very desirable places - after the north and west came to dominate.
Wednesday 18 January 2012 3.31pm
Hmmm...it seems to me that closing London Road to all but buses and cycles should be a fairly cheap, high-impact action.
Wednesday 18 January 2012 3.34pm
james127 wrote:
Hmmm...it seems to me that closing London Road to all but buses and cycles should be a fairly cheap, high-impact action.

where would the traffic go that currently uses it?
Wednesday 18 January 2012 3.56pm
St Georges Road would return to being two way, with a two way London Road taking over all the buses. St Georges Circus would be remodeled.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: