Boris Island

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 18 January 2012 11.46am
The Estuary Airport wheeze has suddenly become more plausible. There's the pleasant prospect of riding a boat from SE1 to Boris Island instead of the dreary journey to Heathrow or Gatwick.
Wednesday 18 January 2012 1.05pm
Blimey that would take a while wouldn't it?
Wednesday 18 January 2012 1.31pm
markadams99 wrote:
There's the pleasant prospect of riding a boat from SE1 to Boris Island instead of the dreary journey to Heathrow or Gatwick.

Going past Gravesend on a boat, one can relive 'Heart of Darkness' which begins in such a fashion. Maybe this is pretty apt?
Wednesday 18 January 2012 1.43pm
45 minutes? These are the Venetian airport taxis zipping along:

Wednesday 18 January 2012 1.52pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
markadams99 wrote:
There's the pleasant prospect of riding a boat from SE1 to Boris Island instead of the dreary journey to Heathrow or Gatwick.

Going past Gravesend on a boat, one can relive 'Heart of Darkness' which begins in such a fashion. Maybe this is pretty apt?

Steaming through Thames fog out into the blazing West African Atlantic sun and onwards down a mighty river to a dark interior...it beats Platform 5 at London Bridge Station at 7.30am - the horror! the horror!
Wednesday 18 January 2012 2.51pm
I think using new London Bridge to take a 29 minute train to lovely, lovely Gatwick will still win.

I don't imagine the express water taxi service would be cheap...
Wednesday 18 January 2012 5.01pm
jamesup wrote:
I think using new London Bridge to take a 29 minute train to lovely, lovely Gatwick will still win.
I don't imagine the express water taxi service would be cheap...

I couldn't agree more: LGW is even a better option than LCY, simply because it is so easy to get to from our area.
Wednesday 18 January 2012 5.37pm
sell Heathrow to the Chinese and use the money to build Boris' airport (LHR becomes housing, a mix of affordable and prime) ...then use that same money to contract Chinese construction companies to build the new airport. if all the silly UK planning laws and hearings can be fast-tracked or ignored (that takes government guts in the face of rampant nimbyism) the whole thing could be up and running in 5 years with a fast train into New London Bridge for good measure...feasible?
Wednesday 18 January 2012 8.49pm
Boris Island sounds good to me - it worked in Hong Kong to build a brand new airport on a remote island, and that is now one of the best in the world...

I think that this will only be a dream though - if its like HS2, then it will take 30-40 years to become a reality..

We can but dream !
Thursday 19 January 2012 12.01am
Would miss me melancholy walks though around the Saxon Shore Way at Grain and the chance to see a Red-backed Shrike or a Waxwing in the distance.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: