Anyone know a good band for weddings?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 16 April 2002 11.14am
I'm looking for a band to play at a wedding reception in South East London. The repertoire should preferably include Commitments type music (Mustang Sally, Midnight Hour, Gimme Some Lovin' etc.) and it should be very lively. Does anyone know of such a band that won't cost the earth? Thanks.
Thursday 18 April 2002 1.12am
I am a musician (keyboard player) living in Tooley Street. I work with a band called The Fabulous Phinx which plays this sort of material. The band is led by bass player Huw Burren and always contains excellent musicians from the London scene. We do weddings regularly and recently we have had a contract on a cruise ship on and off for six months which has finished now. We cover a range of James Brown, Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Nina Simone numbers etc, blues, some Van Morrison songs and funky tunes. IF you can email me with what your needs are I should be able to give you some prices. The band can be varying size, for example large or small horn section, guitar and/or keyboards, one or two singers etc and is usually gigging regularly so you should be able to come and see.

Friday 19 April 2002 1.24pm
There is a Scottish guy called Ronnie who plays the piano in the Mill Street Cafe in SE1- he usually brings along a saxophonist or guitarist to accompany him. He also plays in bars/restaurants in the West End.
The music is exactly what you describe - mustang sally etc.

We got him to play at our wedding reception with his band a couple of years ago and he was brilliant.

You should call up the Mill St cafe, see when he is playing and pop by to see for yourself. I think he mainly plays on Thursday - Saturday but they do have other musicians so definitely ring first.
Friday 19 April 2002 1.38pm
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I've followed both up. This site is brilliant!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: