London Bridge or Bermondsey/Canada Water safety??

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 21 January 2012 9.35pm
Dear all,

I'm a professional woman planning to work near Guy's Hospital. So I'm thinking to moving around London Bridge (including Bermondsey st, Borough but not Elephant& Castle), or near Bermondsey underground station/Canada Water, Rotherhithe. A friend of mine told me both areas are great but I have little idea how safe it would be if I walk home at night, like 9PM from bus stops or tube stations. Would you suggest any Pros and Cons for both, + any spotty unsafe areas nearby that you don't recommend, please?
Sunday 22 January 2012 12.06am
Hi Shara,
I work at Guy's and in Rotherhithe, live in Shad Thames.
I'd say London Bridge, Bermondsey St and the areas near the river are as safe as anywhere in London. Canada Water I only know during the day, but its pretty residential with lots of new flats, so looks fine.
Personally I've never felt worried about Bermondsey Station/Jamaica Rd, but there was a stabbing last year. The estates running south of Jamaica Rd I would not feel great about late at night on foot, but there are many worse places a bit further south.
(Cue 'what's wrong with Elephant etc'... cries)
Just my opinion.
pm me if you want any more advice re flat hunting.
B
Sunday 22 January 2012 12.42am
I feel safe in the area and I live in an edgier bit. I actually find shad Thames eerie to walk around at night and didn't join a gym in the circle because of it. Either way this is London so crime is high but across se1 I would say it was the same whether you are in a posh bit or not and generally it's a good area. A quick look on the forum shows it's not specific to certain areas. I am happy here and feel safe. Also if you are out too late taxis back aren't that bad as it's pretty central.
Sunday 22 January 2012 4.48pm
Hi Sahara

I've lived in the area for over 20 years and I've never had any problems other than some kids riding their bicycles threateningly. I regularly walk home from London Bridge tube (towards Bermondsey) at night. Obviously I need to be aware of what's going on around me, as anywhere else in London. But wherever there are people around, I feel pretty safe.
Sunday 22 January 2012 5.36pm
Hi,

Thank you very much for your feedback and I really appreciate all of you!!!
I became less interested in the south of Jamaica road as Brendon kindly pointed out. Also I noticed that the rents are cheaper than other areas, suggesting that it would be less safe, in particular for someone who is new to London (I'm from CA, USA).
Though this is SE1 forum (sorry but I could not find the right one for SE16, does anyone who know a little bit more about east sides of Bermondesy and Canada water, for example, areas near the dock? It looks like nice re-development areas in which I'm interested too. Many many thanks again,
Sunday 22 January 2012 5.37pm
To keep you happy Brendan, I will respond by doing the "What's wrong with Elephant? bit!" I am a woman in my sixties and until I retired recently, I used to walk home at 2am after work and never felt unsafe as there are so many people around even at that time of the morning. Elephant's great if you want to live in the real South London with an infinitely mixed community. Stick to Shad Thames etc if you prefer a more business type population and if you feel unsafe as that will communicate itself to any prowling ne'er do wells. They will ignore you if you 'belong' in an area but will quickly pick up if you are uneasy.
Sunday 22 January 2012 5.44pm
Sahara wrote:
I became less interested in the south of Jamaica road as Brendon kindly pointed out. Also I noticed that the rents are cheaper than other areas, suggesting that it would be less safe

I am not sure how you come to that conclusion. And I don't think your conclusion applies to SE1.

I have lived in some areas of SE1 with very low rent - when I had little money. Some of those areas had great community spirit and I always felt safe.

If one of your safety criteria is expensive rent, perhaps Google for "to rent Kensington and Chelsea"
Sunday 22 January 2012 6.25pm
HI,

I'm sorry if I hurt your feeling for what I wrote. This is just because I know nothing about London yet and don't have any experience to live in a big city....so will prefer to chose areas most of people tell me it's fine , as least for my first year in London.

Right now I myself also live in an area where people sometimes consider as "unsafe", but after getting used to being there and know how to "belong" to it, I found that my current place is just great and wonderful with a very cheap rent.(So I might have to change my question as "which areas would be better for a person new in London".) Sometimes I heard mixed reviews about Elephant/Castle from my friends, some say it's so great and the other say well, so so etc. That makes me think I need to get used to trying to find nice place to live there until I can be fully aware around me as usual London persons do.

Again I understand all have different opinions and all will be very valuable for me.
Sunday 22 January 2012 6.31pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
I have lived in some areas of SE1 with very low rent - when I had little money. Some of those areas had great community spirit and I always felt safe.

Would you mind if I ask you which areas you had a nice experience (as far as you don't mind)? Those are the one I really want to hear from someone who lives /used to live around there.
Sunday 22 January 2012 6.48pm
Sorry - I come over all prickly and defensive when folks think the poorer, low rent area of London (especially SE1) are somehow inferior or dangerous. You don't know this area and I apologise for having a go.

I lived on Rockingham Street (just off the Elephant) for a year or so and always felt safe and secure. I got to know my neighbours and thought that area/estate had a great sense of community.

To be honest, I think you will be safe anywhere in SE1 - it's a great area of London.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: