Two Way Traffic St George's Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 22 January 2012 5.53pm
I have just discovered that apparently buried in the Elephant regeneration plan, Southwark Council propose to change St George's Road to two way traffic with ALL the cars, HGVs, commercial vehicles and taxis using it. Apparently London Road will be used only for buses. The premise is seemingly that "Hardly anyone lives in St George's Road!"

It strikes me as lunacy to move all this traffic to a road that has a primary school, a secondary school, and children's activities in St Jude's Community Centre. The Notre Dame schoolgirls have to cross over to use the sports grounds in Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park. The many people who live in the flats and Georgian Terraces along the road will be subject to increased traffic noise and pollution. Currently it is lethal for cyclists as well and this can only get worse. Does anyone know anything more about this?
Sunday 22 January 2012 8.22pm
Two-way traffic can actually be better than one-way traffic because it forces drivers to move more slowly. I know it's counter intuitive, but it's true :)
Monday 23 January 2012 12.10am
Agreed, as discussed here before, the traffic currently flying around the one way system will instead be moving more slowly through a pair of two way routes. As done recently on Piccadilly and Pall Mall, this should make the road slower and easier to cross (as I think most agree was achieved on Great Dover Street when that was reconfigured).

Of course, it has to be done right, and I'll be watching that closely. Southwark Living Streets is too, and I believe also in favour.

The plan was quite closely tied to the cross river tram, and is unfunded, so there's no timetable for it's implementation.

Not sure where the 'no one lives there' quote is but having talked to Southwark and TfL about it (as part of discussions of the roundabout) this is planned as an improvement for pedestrians, cyclists, residents and businesses - not for through traffic flow.

Hope that reassures!
Monday 23 January 2012 8.57am
Beverly

i agree total lunacy-there are 3 primary schools on St georges road or very close to-Charlotte Sharman. St Judes, St georges and secondary Notre Dame this will mean increased traffic and more danger you might slow it down then there is more temptation to cross away from crossings and increased polution-has anyone consulted the schools and the parents?
The road is also a blue route used by ambulances for St Thomas' so it is essential the road is kept moving
My father lives on this road and the noise, dirt polution is already bad enough
the only problem with London Road as is is the stupid contra flow bus lane
Monday 23 January 2012 9.19am
Dee Dee, I agree that the main issue with London Road is the contra flow bus lane. In the last couple of years there have been at least three major collisions with pedestrians opposite the University bookshop. Mainly I suspect, because people perceive the road as one way going South and they don't expect buses to be travelling North due to the way the road is configured.

It may be that two way traffic is slower, I am open to the possibility of that but it would be the sheer volume of traffic and the pollution that would concern me. There are many many elderly people and people with small kids living in all the little streets like Hayles Street and Eliot Row running off St Georges Road. The last thing they need is additional pollution and heavy traffic. Many of these people are the poorest Londoners who will not be aware of or take part in discussions on these issues. Is their health and well-being to be sacrificed on the altar of Elephant regeneration and in the interests of the 'gentrification' of the area?
Monday 23 January 2012 9.25am
I cannot for the life of me see how the southbound traffic from Blackfriars and Waterloo rds will get to St Georges rd,unless of course cars will be allowed in London rd until Garden row,maybe i'm missing something here but wont that create a bottleneck of sorts?
Monday 23 January 2012 9.52am
TfL didn't elaborate on how the traffic movements from the various bridges would be arranged, those with that plan were not at our meeting.

There hasn't been a consultation as it's an unfunded aspiration, not a plan. You need funds to have a consultation, they are not free. If and when it gets supported (unlikely with the current Mayor) there will be the usual efforts to involve all, as there have been at the elephant - where I'm pleased to say a very wide spread of the community has been attended.

I don't think anything is being sacrificed on the alta of the elephant regen - certainly not when it comes to traffic planning, as the plan is basically do nothing.

Both London Road and St Georges Rd. are commercially dead and hostile pedestrian environments - Walworth Road is packed with Pedestrians, but barely anyone from there makes the 15 minute walk to the river (while the buses are packed). These roads should be the thriving avenues of SE1 - it just takes a bit of imagination.
Monday 23 January 2012 10.26am
Lots of good stuff on living street's website on these issues, if you'd like to read further - they call for the removal of gyratories and one way systems in their crossing policy.

http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/files/8513/2137/7829/Crossings_policy_briefing.pdf
Tuesday 24 January 2012 3.03pm
Why is 'commercially dead' a bad thing? There is plenty of shopping in close proximity. It is nice to have some roads not lined with multinationals. It is one of the things I like about this area.
Tuesday 24 January 2012 3.31pm
SE1 was a thriving part of the city center before the current road schemes and suburbanization.

Great history here.

Suburbanization slowed (transport systems couldn't cope, younger generations wanted something else), and the inner city has become a desirable place to live again. People living in the city, near their jobs, near businesses, near public services, offers many benefits. While much of the inner city has returned to life, large parts of SE1 remains somewhat asleep, due in part to the road network that treats it as a place to transit through - rather than a place to be.

Turning these roads back into streets - bringing businesses, public services, employment and homes together within pleasantly walkable distance - is one of the key steps to making the most of what SE1 has to offer.

One of the things I like most about this area is its potential, I hope to be here for a long time and see it realized.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: