Mugging on Bermondsey St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 26 January 2012 7.50pm
I witnessed a young lady being mugged of her phone on Bermondsey St at 6:55pm just now. Understandably, she was a little shocked. No one came to her aid or even tried to shout for help. There were so many people walking passed ignoring her as if nothing happened. I was just crossing the traffic light after the tunnel and heard a scream. I could see further down Bermondsey Street, there were two hooded boys with dark jacket about 5 feet 2 inches tall (similar height to the lady).

There was a kind man who offered his phone to call the police or her friend but she declined. Understandably very distress and just wanted to go home first. I advised her to note the time of incident and report it to the police to check on the CCTV. It happened just outside Williams Lynch estate agent.

I reported to the police when I got home (about 10mins later). The officer said he couldn't do anything until they received a report from the victim.

On my way home, many still unaware of the incident. I have warned those chatting on their mobile outside the pub and Jose along the way. So, everyone - be careful.
Friday 27 January 2012 9.41am
I was in the park in bermondsey street walking my dog around 6.30pm last night and 2 hooded boys/ young men walked past me and went to the back of the park into the dark area don't know if they were connected but they looked like they were up to something.
Friday 27 January 2012 2.07pm
Sounds like the same two boys I see doing the same thing at the same place last week. They were on bikes and snatched a womens phone. Beware on Bermondsey St.
Friday 27 January 2012 2.22pm
I had mine stolen by 2 kids on a moped at the bus stop on the corner of Southwark Park Road and Reverdy Road last June. Scariest thing. Reported to the police who said there had been loads of those type of muggings. Guess they've starte up again. I NEVER have my phone out in public now. Sad, but necessary nowadays. If you have to call someone, use a handsfree. It's better to be safe.
Friday 27 January 2012 2.27pm
What I don't get is why people don't help. I mean, sure, don't intervene directly if you're scared, but dial 999 - there's a crime in progress.

I was involved in an incident a few years ago outside a supermarket where some kids (maybe 15 years old) were stealing a bike. I was locking mine up and spotted them, and challenged them on it. Everyone else looked on and didn't assist, so they got away. Afterwards, one of the onlookers told me I shouldn't have done anything because they might have had a knife. After this, I thought in a similar situation (like this on Bermondsey Street, where I live), the thing I would do in future is:

- tell (don't ask) someone else to dial 999. (Or call myself, but getting other people involved creates strength in numbers and dialling 999 is easy)
- if I don't want to directly intervene, being a witness can help, and if someone else intervenes, show support, even by just standing close to them and acting as witness.

I have no idea if this is advice the police would suggest, and would love to know how they think people should act, but I think lack of action in these cases just makes it worse.

(After my experience, the thing that upset me most was the lack of support from others, far more than the behaviour of young criminals who appeared to have never been challenged on anything and were genuinely shocked and surprised by my response.)
Friday 27 January 2012 3.41pm
Yeah. I stopped a schoolgirl who was standing on the lower deck getting robbed on a bus. It was so obvious that the guy was putting his hand into her bag yet no-one said anything. When I went up to the guy, out of angry frustration really and quite spontaneously, and said 'No!', he got off after threatening to beat me up. Okay, he didn't and I kept quiet at this point seeing that it was bluff plus I'm a weasly skinny guy. But no-one said anything about him, it or me. Rubbish! So I just sat there with all my adrenaline and thoughts whizzing round my head.
Friday 27 January 2012 3.51pm
Two thoughts come to mind. The first is: that day, Merlin Rouge, you were a superhero!

The second thought is that people in groups and crowds assume other people are in charge and are better equipped than they are. I think we can remind them that's not true by directly asking individuals to intervene. In my example, I wouldn't say 'someone dial 999'. I'd look at someone and say 'you, do you have a phone? Dial 999 and tell them a crime is taking place now'.
Friday 27 January 2012 4.03pm
It's also worth remembering most phone have cameras now, so if you're cool-headed enough get a pic. Not always possible I realise, many a time I've only ever thought about it after an incident.
Friday 27 January 2012 4.42pm
Tolstoy wrote:
It's also worth remembering most phone have cameras now, so if you're cool-headed enough get a pic. Not always possible I realise, many a time I've only ever thought about it after an incident.

Just as long as the culprit doesn't spot your flashy phone and steal it from you mid-photo!!!
Friday 27 January 2012 5.12pm
Certainly no superhero. Just got fed up. I think the psychology of people had changed so much over the last 30 years. Nowadays it's seem people don't get involved so that kind of older culture of 'leave it out, mate' which would be collectively backed-up has been replaced by one which is more individualised and tries to not be involved lacking the belief that others will also step in and sort it out. Consequentially such a non-interference sends the message to people who rob and steal from others that no-one will get involved, step-up and say 'no chance, pal'. No-one likes a confrontation esp when levels of violence seem more dangerous in these times (whether that's true or not).

My later thoughts on the bus incident was maybe it would have been better to have got up and said something loudly like 'this guy is trying to rob this girl, what are we going to do now?' But, hey, you just don't think sometimes so straight.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: