Council Love To Waste Our Money

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 29 January 2012 7.42pm
For two months now we have scaffolding outside our flats in bermondsey, they originally put up this small scaffolding for the work men to clear the guttering, the workmen were there for two hours one morning, this was 2 months ago. The scaffolding lays dormant, not even alarmed right next to some ones window,. handy for buglars as well. When I complained to council just received, we will look into it, yet we have been fighting for new windows forever and still have not received them, I know it costs the council a few hundred a week just for that scaffolding to sit there, while the scaffolding company rub their hands as they receive payments from council for it to just sit there. Plus theres the thing down the blue as well in the centre just sitting there, another waste of money that was. It seems rather dead down there now since the council decided to refurbish it.
Monday 30 January 2012 8.31am
I wouldn't dream of playing devil's advocate where local authorities are concerned, (I've complained to mine often enough,) but quite often in the above situation it's the scaffold company's fault. I have it from a reliable source that some companies, after the payment time has lapsed and they're not getting any more money, will leave the scaffolding erected, rather than 'strike' it, (i.e. take it down.) They don't then have to load it on to the lorry, take it back to the depot, unload it and then have to reload it and take it to the next site. Basically, using the existing site as storage.
Monday 30 January 2012 8.47am
Please email me, so I can make a formal member's enquiry about it, thanks.
office@grahamneale.com
Monday 30 January 2012 11.34am
One of he amazing things about this forum is that councilors who care actually do something about your issues. Ladywriter, I bet you a fiver that the scaffolding is gone within a week now that GN is on the case (or he finds a good reason for it being up).
Monday 30 January 2012 1.22pm
I have had faulty windows in my flat for over 5 years and still havent reached an agreement with Southwark. I would go public about it and was considering going to the press but was fearful it would be an open invite for burglars to break. Caught between a rock and a hard place...
Tuesday 31 January 2012 6.01pm
Those of you who want to see a picture of some scaffolding click here.
I've got in touch with council staff to see why it's up, and when it's coming down.
Wednesday 1 February 2012 9.47pm
How much money does the council spend on hanging flower baskets? They hang these high maintenance (they're already watering this year's collection) flower displays from the lampposts on Weston Street when the money could be better spent on the nearby parks and gardens.
Wednesday 1 February 2012 9.51pm
Those hanging baskets are Team London Bridge's responsibility, not the council.

The council did away with all its own hanging baskets in Bermondsey about a year or 18 months ago to save money.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 1 February 2012 10.40pm
Leathermarket Gardens and other, smaller green spaces, are extremely well looked after by the Green Team. It is unfortunate, to put it mildly, that a small number of people seem to have no respect for these wonderful oases. I cleared a load of rubbish, today, carelessly and thoughtlessly dumped by people. Also, an extraordinarily large amount of dog waste is not cleared away by supposed dog lovers.

Nice to see the hanging baskets rpvided by Team London Bridge.
Wednesday 1 February 2012 10.43pm
Hanging baskets are a relativley cheap way of sending a message that "someone gives a damn". Lots of people love them.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: