Victims and cctv

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 30 January 2012 6.14pm
Does anyone out there if a victim is entitled to see the CCTV footage of when they was attacked....thanks
Monday 30 January 2012 6.36pm
I know that CCTV is covered by the Data Protection Act - and the details are here.

I think the section you require is covered by the para "When can CCTV images be disclosed?" here.
Tuesday 31 January 2012 9.46am
When I had an accident a couple of years ago, I asked the security gards of the nearby buildings if I could have access to their CCTV recording as they had cameras right on the street where it happened. They refused. They said they would only release the recording to the police, not to a member of the public.
Tuesday 31 January 2012 6.00pm
The police already have a copy of the CCTV so would you know if I'm entitled to see it?.thanks.
Tuesday 31 January 2012 6.17pm
You're not entitled to automatically, but if they think your reason for wanting to see it is good enough they might let you. It's even less likely if there are other uninvolved people in the footage though.
Tuesday 31 January 2012 11.01pm
IANAL, but I think Mr Bloke's link is quite clear that both the owners of the original CCTV footage and the police are subject to the Data Protection Act and must make it available under a Subject Access Request.

Quote:
An organisation may need to disclose CCTV images for legal reasons - for example, crime detection. Once they have given the images to another organisation, then that organisation must adhere to the Data Protection Act in their handling of the images.
Wednesday 1 February 2012 12.29am
Near the bottom of this page:

"If, however, other people are identifiable in the CCTV pictures, then the images would be considered personal information and it is likely they would be exempt from the Freedom of Information Act."
Wednesday 1 February 2012 12.38am
Thanks for all your advice...cheers
Thursday 2 February 2012 3.33pm
This would only apply if you were making a request under the Freedom of Information Act. You would only do this if the CCTV was operated by a public body, and you were requesting footage of other people.

If you were requesting footage of yourself, from any public or private operator, you would make a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act, and this specifically deals with personal information.

beetroot wrote:
Near the bottom of this page:
"If, however, other people are identifiable in the CCTV pictures, then the images would be considered personal information and it is likely they would be exempt from the Freedom of Information Act."

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: