White Hart status

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 30 January 2012 11.22pm
I noticed on Sunday that the White Hart's pub sign was not hanging outside. I reckoned they were having it repainted.

I went by Monday the 30th for a pint, and they weren't open. Does anyone know what's going on?
Tuesday 31 January 2012 1.35am
Another one bites the dust?

This is the White Hart in Great Suffolk Street rather than Cornwall Road, I'm guessing from the Tall House being round the corner from the former.

Been in only a few times if so, and I suspect the place has been suffering from the surfeit of construction activity in the immediate surrounds. Having previously sat outside on their benches and found that corner a pleasant suntrap, on my last visit in the autumn the sound of heavy-duty power tools was a bit overpowering.

With a lot of new residential space opening nearby, though, it's a pity if this decent-looking pub doesn't make it.
Tuesday 31 January 2012 11.52am
Whenever I walk past in the evening it seems quite full with workers. They often have the football on as well. I've been a few times, and always found it quite pleasant. Would be a shame if it disappeared.
Tuesday 31 January 2012 5.24pm
I can assure one it it is completely open having just walked past, but yes, the sign is missing. Hopefully being replaced with one which has more than simply, White Hart on it.
Tuesday 31 January 2012 5.26pm
Ah, good to hear. I went by last night at 10 and it was shut. Must have been a business decision on a slow night.
Tuesday 29 September 2015 6.35pm
It's a gonner, well, in it's present form.

Apparently Fullers will be taking it back and have plans for it. Sorry if it's old news.

Shame, good pub.
Wednesday 30 September 2015 9.54am
Fullers have put in a planning application to extend the pub into Pickles cafe next door

http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk:8190/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9562670

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 30 September 2015 10.26am
James Hatts wrote:
Fullers have put in a planning application to extend the pub into Pickles cafe next door
http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk:8190/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9562670

That pub (and the pavement ) is usually packed with workers, no wonder they want to expand.
Wednesday 30 September 2015 11.10am
Not Pickles! Purveyors of the best food in London... according to them. Will be a shame to lose them. I asked for cheese on toast once and they gave me a piece of cheese sitting on a slice of bread.
Wednesday 30 September 2015 11.42am
Veronica is taking over the Kings Arms in Newcomen St.

Good luck Veronica, family been in the White Hart for 30+ years, previously in the Southwark Tavern. They now how to run a pub!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: