Build a new Town Hall?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 3 February 2012 8.13am
Err what's wrong with the existing SOUTHWARK TOWN HALL on Peckham Road with it's fantastic council chamber which can be used shock horror for council meetings. Whatabout the old BERMONDSEY TOWN HALL or maybe even WALWORTH TOWN HALL. Even if Southwark Town Hall is flogged off to the Arts College surely the council could still use/hire the purpose built and fit for purpose (boardroom bingo) council chamber for it's meetings?
Friday 3 February 2012 8.22am
Bermondsey TH has been sold. The chambers at Bermondsey and Walworth are not big enough for the modern council anyway, having been designed for smaller metropolitan boroughs.

The chamber at Peckham Road is fairly gloomy, the public gallery has limited capacity and you can hardly see any of the chamber below.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 3 February 2012 8.57am
The town hall at Peckham now belongs to The London Institute - Camberwell College.
Friday 3 February 2012 9.24am
I think this is a good idea -- it would be a visual commitment to the area.
Friday 3 February 2012 11.59am
And how about the municipal offices there as part of the regeneration? It'd be accessible to all parts of the borough by bus and tube and, with decent planning, scope to include a new council chamber/civic/urban meeting space, offices owned by the council and the public as opposed to just temporarily rented and show commitment to an infrastructure that has previously been disconnected and trivialised. I would like my council to have some robust assets rather than paying to rent in an expensive area with variable costs a temporary space. It is a shame that the previous council offices had to go but I do understand that their setup was not ideal for modern offices (ignoring the leaks). Why not take the opportunity to create a clear identity and a solid base for the borough.
Friday 3 February 2012 12.13pm
Thanks for the replies. Surely the gloomy chamber could be fixed relatively cheaply with some new lighting. Is the public gallery ever full for council meetings?

I suppose the E&C Town Hall proposed by the Dulwich councillor may not cost the taxpayer any money and if surrounded by shops and cafes it may invite more public to come along, but it's seems such a waste not to use the Southwark Town Hall council chamber.
Friday 3 February 2012 12.15pm
As I think a Graham said about Southwark Town Hall, too late. It was sold.
Friday 3 February 2012 2.01pm
My initial reaction was similar to the OP's, but it's since been explained that there is a desire for a municipal space at Elephant as part of the regeneration which could be used by Churches, Theatrical and performance art, music and - potentially - also be a suitable assembly chamber. That seems to make some sense. The council doesn't have frequent assemblies, so it makes sense for it to be in a shared space, this would seem like a good opportunity in a relatively convenient place.
Friday 3 February 2012 3.01pm
And potentially be rented out. It's at a very convenient location for lots of parts of London and might bring in some reasonable revenue.

Having the offices colocated above it would tie together some disparate parts of the structure and associated revenue could be put towards its maintenance. You could also have a better one stop shop there.
Friday 3 February 2012 9.15pm
I think it's a good idea for the Town Hall to relocate at the Elephant.

Thanks to its large NCP car park, rail station, 2 Tube lines, over 20 bus routes and the fact that all mayor road routes traveling through the borough lead to the Elephant & Castle, it is by far the easiest single location to reach from all the different Southwark wards.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: