PC repairs at home

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 5 February 2012 9.12pm
There is anyone there, knowing a good pc repair service, willing to come home?
My laptop does a strange thing: it is refusing to connect to the home wifi signal, but it does connect to the others wifi.
The home one is paid for already, so I have to stick to it.
I brought the pc to a maintenance service, but they say it should be checked on premises, and thay don't do home service.
Any kind help?
Many thanks
Monday 6 February 2012 10.35am
I am an IT worker living local. What have you tried at home yourself? i might be able to post some tips..
Monday 6 February 2012 5.23pm
Hi.I've tried all I could.
The strange thing is that the pc does connect to all wifi available around, and elsewere, and friends' pcs do connect as well with no problem.
The problem exists only b/w my pc and that specific wifi signal. Which is paid for already, and free.
I need the pc badly, I think the only possible path is having someone coming on premises and try, with pc and wifi, on the spot.
But thank you anyway, I hope some technician will pop up?
Monday 6 February 2012 6.07pm
Well from what you describe it sounds like a problem with that specific WiFi connection just on you laptop.

You don't say which OS you are using, but can you find the connection in the list of available WiFi connections? I would delete that connection and re-add it.
Monday 6 February 2012 6.13pm
Hi the OS is Vista (ooops) and yes, I see the connection, and I'll try that asap and let you know . . . . .thanks for the hint though
Saturday 11 February 2012 5.25pm
YEs I did it several times but no results . . . I really need an home service here . . . .
Saturday 11 February 2012 5.38pm
If you have a software virus scanner/firewall installed on your laptop - try disabling it and then try to connect. Sometimes the firewall decides the connection is a "bad" IP and blocks it.

Also, do you have an "Access Control List" on your wireless router? - disable it. This is a last resort because if other folks can connect it may not be the problem.
Saturday 11 February 2012 5.59pm
I think I did fumble already with the firewall . . . I'll try that again more consistently and let you know
Sunday 12 February 2012 10.02am
Have you tried hard wiring the Pc/laptop straight to the modem to check that you are able to connect that way? Which wireless router are you using?
Sunday 12 February 2012 6.28pm
Would you believe noone thought of a cable?
This is an example of the technological frenzy . . . wifi by all means . . who cares?
With a cable it HAS to work . . . I'll let you know asap but thanks.
I have to get me a cable, don't have it here right now
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: