Glasshill Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 6 February 2012 8.18pm
In this recent thread several people talked affectionately about Glasshill Street so I thought it was worth flagging up this application for the demolition of 38-40 Glasshill Street [with retention of facades] (11/AP/2441) which will be considered by Borough & Bankside Community Council later this month.

There is an existing consent for redevelopment, but since permission was granted in 2008 the area has become a conservation area so separate approval is required for demolition.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 8 February 2012 2.51pm
I was interested to read the comments about Glasshill Street, especially the mention of old industrial buildings. Recently I've been researching the history of local gaols. In the 18th Century there was a prison at the south, Webber Street end of the road called the Surrey Bridewell, run by the Justices of the County of Surrey.

On a 1799 map itís shown as the New Bridewell, and seems to be the only structure on the east side of the street (at this point Webber Street ended further to the west and the road Providence Row joined at the bottom was called Higlers Lane):

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~genmaps/genfiles/COU_files/ENG/LON/horwood_southwark_1799.htm

In 1780 the Surrey Bridewell was one of several London prisons attacked during the Gordon Riots. A contemporary drawing shows the gaol in flames along with the nearby Kings's Bench Prison, which stood where the Scovell estate is now. Not long after this the prison was superseded by the new Horsemonger Lane Gaol, on the site of the present Newington Gardens on Harper Road.

After the Bridewell closed I understand the building gained a new use, and is shown on an 1872 map as a soap factory.
Wednesday 8 February 2012 3.24pm
The name, 'Glasshill Street' hit me between the eyes.
I'm sure that's where my grandfather worked, up to his retirement in 1956, for James Clark & Eaton. I haven't seen or heard of the name since. Can anyone confirm that this company was there at some time.
Wednesday 8 February 2012 3.59pm
chalkey wrote:
The name, 'Glasshill Street' hit me between the eyes.
I'm sure that's where my grandfather worked, up to his retirement in 1956, for James Clark & Eaton. I haven't seen or heard of the name since. Can anyone confirm that this company was there at some time.

Found on WWW:
http://www.transportphotos.com/road/photo/VS00610

Van says James Clark & Eaton, Blackfriars
Wednesday 8 February 2012 6.44pm
OMG!
Thanks for that, MR.
I've been thinking about it since my last post and I vaguely remember going with my nan to meet the old man from work, for whatever reason, and seeing a similar lorry to the one in the picture. The memory can play tricks, but I think it was green with red lettering.
Obviously this would have been prior to his retirement, so I hadn't reached my ninth birthday.
Wednesday 8 February 2012 6.53pm
That actually looks to be parked on Glasshill St. An impressive search find, Merlin.
Wednesday 8 February 2012 11.15pm
Tolstoy wrote:
That actually looks to be parked on Glasshill St. An impressive search find, Merlin.

Could it be here in an older version?
Friday 24 February 2012 3.06pm
My name is Richard Patrick East, known as Pat East.
Apprenticed at James Clark and Eaton at 49 Kingsland Road
Shoreditch in 1948 till 1954, as a glass decorater then did National service in the Royal Air Force. Whilst apprenticed my regular weekly job was to take the paperwork to head office in Glasshill Street. My Father Dick East worked for Clarks for most of his life and drove a Leveathon Bedford at Glasshill Street.
I am now aged 78 and live in Dereham, Norfolk.
Friday 24 February 2012 8.17pm
Thanks for that Richard. It's nice to see this little street get some attention, given apart from the impressive bridge structure there's not a lot else that immediately jumps out at you. For me its the very lack of obvious attractions that gives one a sense of history and an odd shift in time as you wander down it. I always feel it moves a little differently down there.
Saturday 25 February 2012 3.22pm
I love this site for this sort of stuff. Thanks to everyone, above, for their contributions.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network