Gold Ring...Con?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 8 February 2012 10.19am
Hello ALl

Just to let you know I was offered a mans gold ring in exchange for cash that a man found on the street (opp St Thomas after turning out of Lower Marsh Street). He seemed genuine until I was told that this is a common trick abroad. He was 5,6 spanish or south american and looked a little desperate. I was late for work and geuinely had no cash so turned him down.

Julia
Wednesday 8 February 2012 11.32am
had a lady try to pull the same by the entrance to Guys hospital a while ago

She was making out she had found The Ring and made me feel it to see how heavy it was and told me i could have it for some cash amount-of course The Ring is not gold and is worthless but i let her spin the story before telling her i knew it was a con at which point she flounced off -obviously angry i had wasted her time!
Wednesday 8 February 2012 10.42pm
It's a classic con. I've experienced it in three different countries.
Thursday 9 February 2012 12.39pm
Gosh, I must be sheltered. Have never heard of this con before. Worst that has happened to me on holiday was being tricked into viewing a timeshare with the promise that I had won a prize. Thanks for the heads up.
Thursday 9 February 2012 4.36pm
Me too tiger bright. I felt sorry for him until work told me it was a classic
Thursday 9 February 2012 5.37pm
Someone tried this on me in Bordeaux, France a few years ago. Basically if it involves a stranger and your money, keep walking.
Do you know the one about the loudspeakers?
The 'mark' is identified in a car park, and shown an advert in a 'hi-fi' magazine showing some expensive loud speakers (with the manufacturer's price).
The con man/woman tells a story about his client ordering a pair, and the warehouse sending him out with two pairs of speakers. Thus they have an extra pair of speakers in their van. The speakers look authentic, and are well packed, but (funnily enough) they are not of the quality of those in the advert, however, as it is near impossible to test them in a car park, the offer is unrepeatable.
The driver offers to follow the mark to a cashpoint to sell the second rate speakers at a price way less than the ones in the magazine†but far above their value.
I was propositioned, and offered that they follow me (I was driving one of my vans - from the B&Q on OKR to the cashpoint) I got them as far as Vauxhall before they gave up to go & look for another sucker.
Thursday 9 February 2012 5.59pm
I'm always amazed that people fall for these long-winded scams.

Mind you I was sold a lump of rock wrapped in cling film for £25, many years past.
Thursday 9 February 2012 6.18pm
graham wrote:
Someone tried this on me in Bordeaux, France a few years ago. Basically if it involves a stranger and your money, keep walking.
Do you know the one about the loudspeakers?
The 'mark' is identified in a car park, and shown an advert in a 'hi-fi' magazine showing some expensive loud speakers (with the manufacturer's price).
The con man/woman tells a story about his client ordering a pair, and the warehouse sending him out with two pairs of speakers. Thus they have an extra pair of speakers in their van. The speakers look authentic, and are well packed, but (funnily enough) they are not of the quality of those in the advert, however, as it is near impossible to test them in a car park, the offer is unrepeatable.
The driver offers to follow the mark to a cashpoint to sell the second rate speakers at a price way less than the ones in the magazine†but far above their value.
I was propositioned, and offered that they follow me (I was driving one of my vans - from the B&Q on OKR to the cashpoint) I got them as far as Vauxhall before they gave up to go & look for another sucker.

Someone tried this one on me in my student days up in Sheffield. Driving in "I've just been to the student union and I've got too many speakers for them over there. Do you want a pair for a ton?" Me, walking to the university: "Er, I don't have £100 on me. Besides, where am I going to put 6ft speakers in my single-bed student room?" It seems that some of these tricksters are pretty naive themselves.

There is also one I first saw in Paris and has now arrived at that emporium of tat along the South Bank near the Eye, seen between the man dressed as our Queen and the one dressed as a rabbit (no, I don't know why either). A man has a loop of thread and encourages people to play along with his 'game'. I understand that people who do play along with the 'game', do so by seemingly willingly putting their finger through the loop in the thread. Quite what happens next I do not know, other than plain pickpocketing by accomplices whilst the person is incapacitated. I've not seen this, but have heard stories from Paris of how it pans out.

I'll continue to look out for the gold ring one.
Thursday 9 February 2012 6.43pm
I was had about 17 years ago as I came to England as a young student. It was on Oxford street and they had a shop where they were shouting their offers out of loudspeakers to attract a crowd in with great prices on hifi,cameras and so on. They'd show you the products from a platform and then quietly closed the doors. Then they'd asked you for your money against the voucher for the item you were interested in and they would hand over the goods in black bags and people were rushed out of the door. Obviously the products turned out to be rubbish, not the ones advertised during their pitch. But by that time, it was too late and people were locked out and could not complain...So many tourists were fooled out of their money. I bought a camera which was so rubbish it went straight to the bin.
Thursday 9 February 2012 7.07pm
Ah yes, the shop that was forever on the verge of closing down... for about three years if I'm right?

I made a nice piece of work out of them; recorded their patter, slowed it down twenty times to remove all but the lowest of bass notes and installed it in a specially built wall. All that you ended up with was this breathy flutter that I likened to the whisper of the street's ghosts from times of yore.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: