Motorbike theft in Morocco St.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 8 February 2012 11.57am
At some point between 9am and 6pm yesterday, a friend's black Honda Hornet was stolen from outside his workplace in Morocco St - he's understandably gutted.

It had a disc lock on it so it must have been lifted into a van by at least a couple of guys. The police have been informed and he has a reference number.

Just wondering if anyone may have seen anything or perhaps knows if this type of motorbike theft is common around SE1...
Wednesday 8 February 2012 2.00pm
A shop owner on Bermdonsey street told me that on a couple of occasions recently, thieves tried to lift the same motorbike on a van. Apparently they were quite appalling at doing the job and were noticed by passers-by and the shop owner even filmed them in action whilst calling the police.
Wednesday 8 February 2012 3.14pm
There is a problem, but it is all over the area, if you look on your local police website, the Grange team set motorcycle crime as a priority back in November. I am sure they would be grateful for any information anyone can give them. It is mostly youths joyriding or selling them on.
Wednesday 8 February 2012 4.39pm
Sorry to hear this and it is a problem in this borough, especially round certain parts of SE1. I caught two guys stealing a bike near Pocock St last summer. Get your friend to post on the LondonBikers forum (they have a stolen bikes sub section) if he's not done already and who knows someone may see it. It's also worth having a look around the area, sometimes it's just idiots who steal a bike for "fun" and then dump it, long shot but worth a try. Might also be worth seeing if there's any cctv in the area?

Some locks can look effective but can easily be broken, a few years back I also caught two youths stealing my pushbike near Rotherhithe tube, literally in 90 seconds they'd managed to break a decent 40 lock. My motorbikes now chained to the floor in a garage with a 200 chain and lock and I still get paranoid about it being stolen.
Wednesday 8 February 2012 4.47pm
Update: He's now spoken to some of the local businesses and the *** said he watched them do it. Black guy and a white guy into a white van, 08 number plate. He's watched some cctv from the *** and can see it but not the numberplate.

Michael P wrote:
Get your friend to post on the LondonBikers forum (they have a stolen bikes sub section) if he's not done already and who knows someone may see it.

Many thanks for that tip, Michael P, I'll pass it on.
Wednesday 8 February 2012 5.06pm
La Martinet wrote:
Update: He's now spoken to some of the local businesses and the ***** said he watched them do it. Black guy and a white guy into a white van, 08 number plate. He's watched some cctv from the **********************and can see it but not the numberplate.
Michael P wrote:
Get your friend to post on the LondonBikers forum (they have a stolen bikes sub section) if he's not done already and who knows someone may see it.

Many thanks for that tip, Michael P, I'll pass it on.

While unlikely that the culprits are reading this, the person who saw the incident might not appreciate being named on a public forum. Could be a good idea to edit your comment.
Wednesday 8 February 2012 5.20pm
Blimey! Thank you for the advice which I have followed but flabbergasted that describing a couple of shops/businesses could be thought of as "naming".

What a nasty old world this can be sometimes.
Wednesday 8 February 2012 5.28pm
Better safe than sorry, that's all.
Friday 10 February 2012 3.38am
La Martinet

I wrote about a similar incident on this forum a few weeks before Christmas. A 08 registered white van was involved in that instance too. You can have a look here:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/148575
Friday 10 February 2012 9.45am
Thanks, Padraic that's really useful.

If the number plate was passed to the police, may I ask what the outcome was?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: