Guinness Buildings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 27 May 2004 1.05pm

Just wandering if anyone can recall when Guinness Buildings on Snowsfields had a attic style level, with windows. I moved into one of the blocks last year, and found an old picture at the local studies library that showed a pointed roof along with windows.

I was just wandering if any one knows why these were taken off in favour of a flat roof.

Post edited (27 May 04 13:07)
Thursday 27 May 2004 1.39pm
They were there in 1955, I dont know why they levelled them off, it spoilt the symmetry of them..Leathermarket J.M.B had some great photos on display at one of their fetes several years ago. I don't know if they borrowed them from Guinness Trust Housing ....

Thursday 27 May 2004 2.09pm
I heard the top floors were chopped off because of the fire regulations of the time. Buildings over a certain number of stories had to have a fire escape and as it was too hard or costly to install one of those they took a bit off the top instead.

Thursday 27 May 2004 2.39pm
Thanks for the info!
Thursday 27 May 2004 3.02pm
Trying to get anything out of Guinness Trust is a nightmare good luck!!!!
Thursday 19 April 2007 1.17am
Good day Glen

As you see I am in Australia but I knew the buildings well back in the 40's - 60's as my Gran lived there,
three of my uncles and their families also lived there.I read your posting above about the buildings. I would love to see pictures of the inside and outside of the buildings as I spent a lot of time there visiting and I also lived there for the first year of my life. My Nan lived in 'I think' it was G block that was the end block next to the bath house. One uncle lived in the block next to
the Rose Pub I believe it is still there.
I remember the cable wireless being installed before that I would go over the shop for my Nan and get accumulators for the wireless. I also remember electricity being put in that must of been late 40's to early 60's. I would love somebody to email me and answer the questions that I have and also send some photo's. May be you Glen or one of you others can find some time to correspond with me.I am doing my family history and this is my Mums side maybe someone still living there may enven know of my family from the past.Hoping to hear from some one soon

Friday 20 April 2007 12.34am
I take that route to get to London Bridge every morning. The shops outside the Guinness Building curve a little almost like a crescent. It's quite a pretty street.
Friday 20 April 2007 10.17am
If you go on friends reunited , look for Snowsfield School and there is a lovely photo of pupils and a teacher just in front of guinness's, taken in the school garden as it was...
Friday 20 April 2007 12.48pm
My family also all lived in Guinness buildings Snowsfields for quite a few years (My Gran, mum an aunt and 3 uncles plus families). My Mum said my grans flat had rooms in the upper attic level or garrets as they used to call them and the floors were all wooden but she is not sure if the whole structure was wooden but does recall an incendiary bomb doing a lot of fire damage to their flat during the war. Perhaps it was considered a fire trap so they removed it-unfortunately my mum does not remember why they removed them.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: