Help us save the Camberwell Green Orchard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 11 February 2012 11.14am
Morning all, and apologies as this is not strictly an SE1 issue, although protection of open public and green spaces doesn't do postcodes :)

the council is proposing to build a new library in camberwell, on the site of an existing orchard which local residents planted and cared for for years. green spaces and open public spaces are few and far between in inner cities and their importance can never be emphasised enough.

while no-one is arguing that camberwell couldn't do with a better library, the location is a big issue. the location and/or any alternatives were never publicly discussed and part of the campaign is precisely to try and open up a public discussion about this, as a number of alternatives have been identified.

online petition is here:http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/savecamberwellgreenorchard.html

for more information about the campaign, please check the facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/152090864883520/

thank you x
Saturday 11 February 2012 11.28am
Is the orchard part of Camberwell Green then? Which part? Seems insane that any part of the green could be built on.
Saturday 11 February 2012 11.32am
beetroot, the orchard is separated from the green itself - if you're, say, coming from the elephant side, you'd turn left just as you get to the green towards the magistrates court. the orchard is on the right hand side of the large open space in front of the magistrates court (i'd actually made an improvised google map of where it is, as a few people didn't know - it's on the facebook group page)
x
Saturday 11 February 2012 11.44am
Just been looking. I've signed and passed on to Camberwell friends.
Saturday 11 February 2012 10.06pm
thank you x
Sunday 12 February 2012 11.12am
Pros,

I'll sign your petition of course as we need more green in London not less. As my mobility is restricted nowadays and I can't get there for a look see, do they actually grow crops there, veggies?

Natures harvests are wonderful things, not many children in london have ever seen a blackberry growing far less a apple tree!
Sunday 12 February 2012 11.42am
there aren't any vegetables but quite a few cherry trees, a couple of pears, some maples & hazels - i've not worked out how to insert photos into the text here :S
only 2 years ago, there were plans to create a sensory garden (the orchard is next to an old people's/nursing home and an estate), as a gentle way to involve people.
that whole space, and the orchard itself, could be linked back to the green and transformed by creating a different (could be wilder, could be veg growing) green space.
thanks, jan x
Sunday 12 February 2012 12.15pm
When it gets warmer Pros I'll try to get there and have a look, at the moment the only thing I manage in my garden is sometimes to feed the birds!
jantoox

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: