Winchester Palace is being covered up

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 17 April 2002 10.06am
The grounds of Winchester Palace on Clink street. next to the Golden Hinde is being covered up, with sand and then concrete!
I suppose this is so that some developer can claim the site and build some ghastly building.
This area of incredible historical significance which attracts thousands of tourists is on its way out making way for a few yuppie wine sippers. Why does no one complain.
The Clink Prison museum, though not amazing, but again of historical importance, being on the actual site of 'The Clink' is also under threat from developers....yet another expensive restaurant! Write to the planning department at southwark council if you think this is a bad idea.
Friday 19 April 2002 2.19pm
we nearly had heart attacks too when we saw that work was starting on the Winchester Palace site! Is it going to be covered up and turned into some ghastly hospitality centre or are they just tarting it up a bit? Does anyone know - would really appreciate some info so we can lodge complaints.
Friday 19 April 2002 3.26pm
I'm convinced it's just restoration work. They've been doing it for months -- and there was a sign there recently saying that's what it was.
Saturday 20 April 2002 2.24pm
It's DEFINITELY been restoration work. Don't panic!
Monday 22 April 2002 11.38am
But even if they were to cover it up, would it be such a great loss ?
We cannot halt the march of progress forever. We should not fetishise every bit of manky old stone we dig up just because it is old. A city must be a living breathing entity, not preserved behind glass as a sterile reminder of the past.

Too often things are preserved simply because they are old. I can imagine in 100 years time, the 'Tower Thistle' becoming a grade 1 listed building. Oh the irony.
Monday 22 April 2002 2.24pm
Yes, it would be a great loss.

There's nothing quite like it in the area; and if you want progress step two metres to the left of it and two metres to the right. There has been effective development on all four sides of this rather interesting curio: the old sits next to the new in near-perfect harmony. This little corner of London is breathing just fine.

It was a restoration job, pure and simple.

These things should be done on a case-by-case basis. Personally, I'd like to see Anchor Terrace torn down so that a whole generation of historians and archaeologists and academics and Shakespeare-lovers could study the Globe remains. But that ain't gonna happen. Ever.
Wednesday 1 May 2002 12.27pm
More has gone than has been preserved by a long way so we do need to take some care. There seems to be something in the human psyche that requires that past things such as objects, memories and traditions are preserved. If we don't keep some of it we'll end up like the americans who either pinch everyone else's history or, when they can't, get hollywood to make it up for them.
Tuesday 7 May 2002 5.58pm
As a bit of a local ' history-freak ' I've been in contact with English Heritage and i am awaiting their reply so watch this space! If you want to make enquiries with them yourself the man is Dr Steven Brindle 020 7973 3738-Inspector of Ancient Monuments. I actually don't think there is a problem because of EH involvement but they let us down re 44 Hopton Street so who knows!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: