Lant Street 1935

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 14 February 2012 11.12pm
Fascinated to have found this - almost within living memory. There's the Glad on the left - must have been new then. Enjoy!
http://charlesdickenspage.com/lant_street_1935.html
Tuesday 14 February 2012 11.14pm
I just can't get enough of pictures like that.
Wednesday 15 February 2012 9.49am
My grand-father in one of the many m oves that people made, lived at one time at number 5 lant street, wished i had a photo of them to shew my auntie. she said he worked nearby at a 'garage'...

Thank you JayBee for sharing, wonder when they were pulled down, the lack of litter, cars, yellow lines...warms the cockles of me 'art kids...
Wednesday 15 February 2012 10.46am
I am presuimg the block on the right - opp. the glad was bombed in the war?
Wednesday 15 February 2012 12.53pm
I was looking round Bunhill Fields Cemetery a couple of weeks ago, and noticed that one of the deceased was linked to the Abbey on Lant street, Southwark.
Wednesday 15 February 2012 5.13pm
I done some research several years ago and found the Gladstone listed in the Post Office Directories in the 1870's
Thursday 16 February 2012 7.38am
Great photographs, I went to Charles Dickens school which was opposite the houses on the right that was long after the houses had gone then it was a car park and where the motor repairs is was lawsons I think they were called, whoI think were the forerunners of paper recycling.
Thursday 16 February 2012 9.47pm
In the photo with the Gladstone on the left , the house with the arched doorway ( there is a white "bollard" on the pavement outside it ), was where the boy Charles Dickens lived when his father was in the Marshalsea

Tony Taylor

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: