Doggie-bags in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 15 February 2012 8.32am
Having watched an item on BBC Breakfast news the a.m. on Doggie-bags i wonder how many of our great SE1 restaurants allow you to take home the food you have already paid for, but cannot eat at the time?
Wednesday 15 February 2012 9.09am
Interesting!

I have been in a restaurant in SE1 that refused to allow me to take home the food I had paid for "on health grounds" - they argued I might get food poisoning.

What about fish and chip shops or your local Chinese? - they are set up specifically for you to take the food away.

The bottom line - if I have paid for it it's mine. If I was refused a doggie bag I would make a point and wrap it in anything on me and still take it away.
Wednesday 15 February 2012 9.18am
Saw the programme too, and quite agree with BSB...it's your food, you paid for it, and they should box it up for you without quibble.
Wednesday 15 February 2012 10.12am
tower tandoori on tower bridge road used to charge you to take away what you had already paid for but could not eat!!
not sure if it's still the case(although think it may be).
Wednesday 15 February 2012 10.19am
Depends what restaurant as well. There is also an etiquette issue. Or formality. Is not considered elegant in some restaurants and in some cultures. So I guess we have to adapt to the situation and the type of restaurant.
It is a very American style that you would rarely find in Europe still now as most people cook at home and they don't wont yesterday food.. maybe it will change with the new generation. But although it is mine, I may apologise to the restaurateur if I cannot finish it but I would not take it home. It will go to the cats and dogs..
I remember when I wad child my uncle asking sometimes for bones in country restaurants to give them to the dogs though. Still depends on the restaurant.
Cheers! And enjoy your meal and doggy meals!
Wednesday 15 February 2012 10.44am
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Interesting!
I have been in a restaurant in SE1 that refused to allow me to take home the food I had paid for "on health grounds" - they argued I might get food poisoning.

What about fish and chip shops or your local Chinese? - they are set up specifically for you to take the food away.

The bottom line - if I have paid for it it's mine. If I was refused a doggie bag I would make a point and wrap it in anything on me and still take it away.

They are quite right to refuse on health grounds.

If you buy a take away, you are buying it with the intention if eating it as it comes, not taking it home, sticking it in the fridge and then re-heating it the next day. It is cooked in the take-away premises to be consumed straight away.

If you buy a meal in a restaurant, can't finish it, and want to take it away, then you are not intending to consume it straight away.

The health risk comes from reheating already cooked food. Bacteria grow between 5 and 60 degrees (roughly)and the more times the food spends at this temperature, the more bacteria grows. It needs to be heated throughout to above 70 degrees to kill any bacteria.

If you take food away from the restaurant, stick it in your fridge, don't store it properly, don't reheat it properly etc, then eat it and get ill, the restaurant that sold it to you has no way of proving that it wasn't their fault. You could blame them for food poisoning when it could have been your own fault.

Yes, it is overly beaurocratic and a sign of the culture we live in, but they are only protecting themselves from potential legal action.
Wednesday 15 February 2012 11.31am
Guy's street wrote:

Another example of the Nanny state gone mad.

I am quite capable of understanding what I can and can't do with cooked food I have paid for in a restaurant and subsequently taken home.
Wednesday 15 February 2012 11.33am
Doesn't really chime well with this campaign certainly:

http://londonist.com/2011/10/restaurant-doggy-bag-campaign-backed-by-top-chefs.php
Wednesday 15 February 2012 11.34am
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Guy's street wrote:

Another example of the Nanny state gone mad.

I am quite capable of understanding what I can and can't do with cooked food I have paid for in a restaurant and subsequently taken home.

You might be, but sadly not everyone is and I suspect the restaurant don't have the time or resource to run a quick food safety test with all of their customers!

As you say, it is a sign of the times.
Wednesday 15 February 2012 11.46am
A simple sign stating "On you own head be it" (in legalese) would do.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: