Urban fox watch

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Friday 17 February 2012 11.04am
Hi all,

I work for a television production company called Windfall Films and we are making new documentary about urban foxes.

We are currently looking for dens of foxes or fox families which we might be able to study and film, and I was wondering if anyone regularly sees foxes or knows of any fox dens near them?

If you know of any foxes in your area or have any fox related stories, if would be great to hear from you! Please feel free to email me on fiona@windfallfilms.com or fox@windfallfilms.com, or call me on 0207 251 7676.

Many thanks!
Fiona
Friday 17 February 2012 11.10am
There are loads around SE1 - there was a story last year about an urban fox finding its way up the Shard and living up there for a little while.
Friday 17 February 2012 12.02pm
There was recently a den found in the ceiling of the basement of the Counting House, which is one of the old buildings of Guy's Hospital. Not sure how they survived there or what its access to the outside world was. I'm not sure what became of them...
Friday 17 February 2012 12.09pm
Hi EleanorT,

This is a great story - thank you very much for the tip!

Fiona
Friday 17 February 2012 12.11pm
Hi Guy's street,

Thanks for your post - it's amazing where the foxes get to! If you know of any particular local foxes, please do keep me updated!

Fiona
Friday 17 February 2012 12.38pm
There are two, sometimes three, that seem to live in the carpark behind the unoccupied Hill House on Blackfriars Road and have done for several years (quite possibly different generations). They are able to climb into various abandoned outhouse-type things and I think they have moved their den around a few locations there. I often see them asleep cuddled up together in the sun in a particular spot during the day.

Last weekend though, one was walking very gingerly on just three legs and sometimes limping badly and looked very much like it had been in the wars - its tail was looking pretty threadbare too.

I know they must breed very locally as quite often in the night I hear, and see, youngsters out playing (screeching!).
Friday 17 February 2012 12.46pm
Hi La Martinet,

Thanks for your reply! These foxes sound very urban - exactly the kind of fox we are looking for! Is there a particular time of day that you tend to see them and do you happen to know where there den is now?

It's sad to hear that one of the foxes may have been injured - if we visit the car park, we will definitely keep an eye out for him (or her!)

Fiona
Friday 17 February 2012 2.14pm
3 foxes (sometimes together) usually spotted around 11pm to midnight at the little urban garden and playground in front of Cluny Place (Long Lane - Bermondsey St): Location
Friday 17 February 2012 2.59pm
Seen a couple of them trotting down Griggs Place (links Grange Walk and Grange Road at the Tower Bridge Road end). Not sure where the den might be as it's all pretty built up. Perhaps in that funny little car park off Grange Road? Or maybe in some of the remaining wasteground / derelict houses and gardens along Grange Road?
Friday 17 February 2012 3.25pm
FionaLeaper wrote:
Hi Guy's street,
Thanks for your post - it's amazing where the foxes get to! If you know of any particular local foxes, please do keep me updated!

Fiona
Here you go - his name is Romeo the Fox, the Resourceful Fox.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12573364
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: