Restaurant suggestion

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Saturday 18 February 2012 6.30pm
A challenge for the SE1 forum. I'm looking for somewhere to take visitors from out of town next Sunday evening for dinner. The requirements are: within 15 minutes walk from London Bridge Station, suitable for a more mature couple, laid back, possibly quirky, and not in the top end price bracket. Background music optional! Is that too much to ask (preferably not a chain either....). All/any suggestions most welcome. Best suggestion wins my enduring respect and gratitude.
Saturday 18 February 2012 6.50pm
I like RSJ, near Waterloo, for French/traditional food. It's decent value, the food and wine are good and it's a nice neighbourhood restaurant. If you're prepared to consider a mini-chain, the Turkish food at Tas is also very tasty; the branch on Isabella Street is my favourite, but the branch by the Globe does really nice pide, which are a kind of Turkish pizza.
Saturday 18 February 2012 7.17pm
Very much depends on your definition of top end price bracket.

Butler's Wharf Chop House has sorted itself back out again (getting rid of their short-lived flame grilled menu). Book in the bar, impress your friends with the view of Tower Bridge and pay no more than 15 for a main.

Of course, I would push the boat out a bit further and go to the Blueprint Cafe, but that's more expensive.
Saturday 18 February 2012 9.45pm
How about a mooch around Borough Market? Never never never during the day when the market's on unless you're particularly fond of crowds, shuffling, not being able to get past tourists taking artistic photos of onions, and getting charged handsomely for the pleasure.

In the evening it's much mellower and you've got a choice of Brindisa for v nice tapas, roast - never been but heard good things, applebees for fish, wright bros for oysters/shelfish, that nice pub on the corner by brindisa (Southwark Tavern) for sunday roast but might need to check if they still do food in the evening, etc etc. Plenty going on.

The Rake I don't think do food but consistantly get rated for excellent beer if you fancy a snifter first.
jpm
Monday 20 February 2012 11.09am
I always loved Champor Champor on Weston Street which certainly did quirky very nicely, though I'm uncertain about the place now the management have changed (there's another thread on here about that)

I agree Tas on Isabella Street, just behind Southwark Tube. It's a lovely setting, and worth it just for that (as well as loving the food)

And Baltic on Blackfriars Road is always wonderful - though it may be pushing your budget a bit.
Monday 20 February 2012 11.10am
BluePrint Cafe - amazing views of Tower Bridge

or get the best bus in the world the RV1 to Chistophers at Covent Garden where they do Jazz on Sunday evenings - you might even get the table with the view of Waterloo Bridge (better than it sounds...)
Monday 20 February 2012 11.37am
Have a look at the Evening Standard, they were doing dine for 15, Blue Print Cafe and Chop House were both listed.
Monday 20 February 2012 11.42am
I went to Tentazione last week, just off Jamaica Road a little way past TBR. Off the beaten track and excellent Italian food. The staff were very friendly and it wasn't too pricey.

Very extensive wine list also.
Monday 20 February 2012 12.17pm
Elliots in Borough Market has all your requirements...cool location, independent, reasonable prices & great food. My new favourite...
Monday 20 February 2012 12.17pm
As Exigo said, depends on what you mean by top end price. I would say you would do well to head for Bermondsey Street- Pizarro and Zucca are both excellent. You might struggle to get a table at Zucca at this short notice though. I can't personally vouch for Antico but others on this forum have commented favourably about the restaurant (although the separate bar seems to be less well thought of). I can also vouch for Tentazioni - very nice.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: