Restaurant suggestion

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
maurits Tuesday 21 February 2012 6.35pm
I recently had lunch in Elliott's cafe and thought it was excellent: very interesting menu, reasonably priced, outstanding service and wonderful food. A true find!

Not in SE1, but also very good is Delaunay's in Aldwych/Covent Garden. the reason I am mentioning this is that they have a number of tables available each day, that cannot be reserved. I think Zucca should consider this as well.
jonnyp42 Tuesday 21 February 2012 6.50pm
Jerry wrote:
I probably would prefer not to sit next to a table at a good restaurant where someone has bought their own cake! Maybe fine at a Macdonald's though and I'd welcome it there. So I welcome the attempt to limit the appeal of this practice by levying a charge.

You appear to be suggesting that you would consider the possibility of someone bringing a suitable decorated cake to a special occasion dinner as rather vulgar.

I find your attitude quite arcane, still it takes all sorts to make a world.
juanita Wednesday 22 February 2012 4.24pm
jpm wrote:
I always loved Champor Champor on Weston Street which certainly did quirky very nicely, though I'm uncertain about the place now the management have changed (there's another thread on here about that)
I agree Tas on Isabella Street, just behind Southwark Tube. It's a lovely setting, and worth it just for that (as well as loving the food)

And Baltic on Blackfriars Road is always wonderful - though it may be pushing your budget a bit.

I second the recommendation to Champor Champor - very good for a different dining experience
EleanorT Wednesday 22 February 2012 7.40pm
juanita wrote:
I second the recommendation to Champor Champor - very good for a different dining experience

I won't be trying it again until I read a few positive reviews from recent visits. I went before Christmas and found it to be very expensive and the food that I ordered didn't really work. Loved the decor. That was the first time I went so I don't know how it compared to before.

Elliot's sounds interesting. I agree about the Chop House - I think they're still doing their very good value bar menu.
lullylush Wednesday 22 February 2012 8.40pm
THinking about it, if I was showing peeps around London on a Sunday I'd head either to Columbia Road or Spitalfields Markets. Fabulous bustle and you can get a whole range of cheap eats at either.
boroughonian Wednesday 22 February 2012 11.25pm
jonnyp42 wrote:
Jerry wrote:
I probably would prefer not to sit next to a table at a good restaurant where someone has bought their own cake! Maybe fine at a Macdonald's though and I'd welcome it there. So I welcome the attempt to limit the appeal of this practice by levying a charge.

You appear to be suggesting that you would consider the possibility of someone bringing a suitable decorated cake to a special occasion dinner as rather vulgar.

I find your attitude quite arcane, still it takes all sorts to make a world.

Well vulgar me took a birthday cake on our visit to the Chop house x mas time,they never charged us and sang "Happy Birthday" to my daughter which was lovely,however,the food wasn't.
I mean,when you take a cake for a special occaision it's not like it's sat with you until dessert time,you hand it to the restaraunt and they serve when appropriate.

Jerry would love me and my doggie bags.
boroughonian Wednesday 22 February 2012 11.55pm
exigo wrote:
Very much depends on your definition of top end price bracket.
Butler's Wharf Chop House has sorted itself back out again (getting rid of their short-lived flame grilled menu). Book in the bar, impress your friends with the view of Tower Bridge and pay no more than 15 for a main.

Of course, I would push the boat out a bit further and go to the Blueprint Cafe, but that's more expensive.

Well of course.
Jerry Thursday 23 February 2012 10.12am
I think doggie bags are great, works fine in the USA. Would you need a doggie bag for your own cake, or would you bring your own?
boroughpaul Thursday 23 February 2012 12.57pm
OMG...cross-fertilisation of threads!
boroughonian Thursday 23 February 2012 1.46pm
Jerry wrote:
I think doggie bags are great, works fine in the USA. Would you need a doggie bag for your own cake, or would you bring your own?

Well i'd still have the Iceland bag I brought the cake in.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions