Noise disturbance Gt Dover St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
chetoree Sunday 19 February 2012 11.52am
Has anyone noticed the noise disturbance occurring increasingly more frequently and more noisily in early mornings (between 2am and 3am) at weekends and even weekdays. Or is it just me? People walking down Gt Dover St seem to enjoy noisy sing-songs and (pointless?) shouting. Does anyone else find this a nuisance?

Advertisement

antonyD Sunday 19 February 2012 12.36pm
It's the same on Marshalsea Rd. I suspect the noise has increased due to the ever increasing number of students in the area, though i don't blame then entirely.
se1lurker Sunday 19 February 2012 5.50pm
Every time I walk down GDS late at night the Dover Castle pub seems to be the problem. There is shouting and screaming from outside every time I go past.

The cocktail of travellers, students, and cheap prices until 2am doesn't seem to mix well.
Karen I Sunday 19 February 2012 6.46pm
Added to the increase in numbers of students in the area, is the number of groups staying in the Travelodge Hotel - usually on stag, or hen parties.
boroughonian Sunday 19 February 2012 9.24pm
se1lurker wrote:
Every time I walk down GDS late at night the Dover Castle pub seems to be the problem. There is shouting and screaming from outside every time I go past.
The cocktail of travellers, students, and cheap prices until 2am doesn't seem to mix well.

Yea both (travellers and students) have been their a while though,to be fair I dont agree with having such licences so close to residential areas but that's another can of worms.
chetoree Sunday 19 February 2012 9.42pm
Thanks for your replies. I am surprised how many of us share a similar experience. - Some time ago, Southwark Planning Commission, in deciding an appeal re the planned redevelopment of the site at the corner of GDS/Long Lane/Tabard (part of London College of Accountancy) disallowed an objection based on concern about increased student noise (the development was to become student accommodation - as you may know; sorry for been pedantic in detail) because nobody had apparently ever complained about current noise. Maybe it's time to complain.

I always suspected the Dover Castle being the 'problem', although I've never seen it with my own eyes. I've already dropped Southwark Environment Services a note about last night's disturbance. Perhaps others would like to add their voice?

I may gently suggest to the Environment Team that they ought to take a look at Dover Castle. I don't like to be a nag, but a regular 2am disturbance of that kind is beginning to get on my nerves.
boroughonian Monday 20 February 2012 1.40am
Wherever they (The students)go they will most likely use GDS to get back to halls and they wont be quiet.
Jan the old one Monday 20 February 2012 7.34am
Bring back old fashioned pub opening times...11pm closing and with a bit of luck if the publican liked you and you were spending a few bob, he'd let you have 'afters' creeping out as quiet as a mouse because he would not want to lose his licence!

Seriously to have 2 or 3 am drinking legally any where in London does seem stupid...but then I'm not 18 any longer!
jpm Monday 20 February 2012 11.02am
Without getting in to the licensing hours debate, it's also worth remembering that Great Dover Street has the large student halls for the LSE and Kings College.

So it might not just be where students are coming from - it might be where they're going to as well.

I have to say the biggest noise nuisance I face - living on the Lawson Estate just off Great Dover Street - is the constant stream of sirens. I'm not sure licensing would make a difference to them.
chetoree Monday 20 February 2012 6.23pm
Current noise levels (be they from somewhat intoxicated people or sirens) suggest we need tripple-glazing - and better architecture. But that aside:

I know that some of the 'noisy people' head for the KCL accommodation. I've seen it. KCL have a responsibility for reminding their residents to respect their neighbourhood, just as, perhaps even more so, publicans are responsible for reminding their guests to do the same. In fact, licences are typically issued under the condition that disturbance are kept to a minimum - and remain exceptions. This is clearly not the case with GDS - and the Dover Castle (if it indeed is the source of 'the evil'). I wouldn't object to late licences if the drinking public respects neighbours. Which clearly isn't the case in this instance.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions