Southwark council suspends all 'non essential' work until the Olympics is over?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 20 February 2012 7.39pm
I hope someone can help/provide some info for me, I couldn't work out who to contact from the council website.

I live on Grange Road, and was trying to get Virgin media installed, as BT have been worse than useless recently.

They've phoned me today, and apparently they can't wire me up as they'd need to dig up the pavement (not a major operation apparently) but Southwark council has put a block on 'non-essential' works until the Olympics are over.

Is this factually accurate, or are they spinning me a yarn? I'm aware that some councillors monitor this thread, so I'd be keen to know - it seemed like the sort of thing that truthmonkey might know.

Many thanks in advance

Mike
Monday 20 February 2012 10.27pm
There is an agreement with Boroughs that non-essential roadworks on roads that form the Olympic Road Network will be suspended during games time.

Southwark only has back-up roads, but these would be subject to the same agreement.

It's far too early for that so unless Southwark has created its own rules, which I find unlikely this far out (and in relation to a pavement), then I suspect you are being spun a yarn.

I'll ask the council tomorrow just in case. If you still have trouble with Virgin Media then I've a good contact who solved my problems with them.
Monday 20 February 2012 11.27pm
Much appreciated TM:-)

I went for another company (Orange) in the end, as I wanted to get something sorted, but I could cancel as I've only done it this evening.

I suspected lies on VM's part, to be honest, as we're toward the TBR end, and I suspect they just can't be bothered. I'd be grateful for the details of your contact - it's not too late to cancel the orange contract.

Again - really appreciate it TM :-)

Mike
Tuesday 21 February 2012 1.10am
Is SE1 less cabled, and does it have fewer multichannel television and fast broadband options, than other zone 1 boroughs? Having not yet seen an offer from any of the main providers that's actually available in my street, I'm beginning to wonder!-/
Tuesday 21 February 2012 10.30am
I've asked one of the people at Southwark about this.
Tuesday 21 February 2012 11.48am
Thanks Graham
Tuesday 21 February 2012 11.54am
I've had a response from Southwark this morning. It agrees with our suspicion that Virgin Media aren't correct:

Street Works Manager wrote:
I can confirm that the 2 embargo's planned by Southwark Council for non-essential works during the Queens Jubilee and the Olympics come into force on 28th May till the 6th June (Queens Jubilee) and 1st of July 2012 Sunday 9th September 2012 (Olympics).
The only other reason Southwark would have rejected an application for works under the Permit Scheme, would be if the Permit conditions were not met, and that would be an issue for Virgin Media to address.
Tuesday 21 February 2012 11.58am
Brilliant TM, thanks for this

Sorry to pester you, the only thing I can't quite decipher is the 'permit for works' aspect, any ideas why these permits may be rejected? It may be a case that Southwark/TFL won't let them dig up Grange Road, which, while frustrating for me, I can at least understand. Could it be something like that?

I know councils get a lot of flak, but I thought I smelled a rat with this one. It just seemed plain daft. I'll give VM a ring, although, if they are lying already, I'm a little more reluctant to buy anything from them.

Again, appreciate your help with this - thanks :-)
Tuesday 21 February 2012 12.14pm
The London Permit Scheme for Street Works is a way for councils to coordinate and control roadworks - rather than just have to agree to one utility digging up the road and a second digging it up again three days later. There's some details on the DfT site here.

I think the City of London website explains it best here.

The only criteria Virgin Media would need to meet would be to make an application giving sufficient notice, and meet any criteria set such as returning the street to a safe condition afterwards. It's not possible for Southwark or TfL to block works indefinitely on a particular street - as before the utility companies have a right to complete works - this just controls when and how they complete them.
Tuesday 21 February 2012 12.23pm
Perfect - again, thanks very much - really helpful.

I'll give them a ring this afternoon, see what the deal is.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: