Felling of Christchurch tree

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Lee&Cath Tuesday 21 February 2012 2.09pm
After seeing the Tweet and picture yesterday of a beautiful local tree to be felled in the Christchurch grounds I phoned the council to ask why? Answering service and no response. We walk through the grounds daily and would like to know why this seemingly healthy old tree has to be cut down?
Please, does anyone else have any info or asked why?
Lionel Tuesday 21 February 2012 3.10pm
I can't answer your question, but suggest you ring the Council switchboard on 0207 525 5000. The idea is not to make another phone call, but to ask the operator if they can give you the name and email address of an officer who's an arboriculturist, tree surgeon or whatever, with a view to emailing them.

It's frustrating when LBS officers don't reply to calls. But the benefit of an email is it's a record of your contact, and you can invoke the Council's Customer Care Policy. This requires either a substantive reply within 10 working days or a holding response pending further enquiries etc. in any case involving complexity.
James Hatts Tuesday 21 February 2012 3.32pm
Pics here: https://twitter.com/#!/se1/status/171618028084137985

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
La Martinet Tuesday 21 February 2012 4.01pm
BOST may know the reason as they have/had oversight of the garden. Email them on info@bost.org.uk
Lee&Cath Tuesday 21 February 2012 4.41pm
Thank you all for picking up on this post. I've managed to speak to the women who carried out the assessment of the tree and will post the details when I receive the email. It does seem that the tree will be felled due to it leaning, it is a shame that it can't ne propped up as this is the only one in the gardens and the local area I think.
suziq Tuesday 21 February 2012 5.05pm
I've asked Adele Morris at LBS to see if she can find out what's going on. She's looking into it and I'll post anything she sends me.
Lee&Cath Tuesday 21 February 2012 5.34pm
Please find the response from the Arboriculturlist officer for Southwark council:

In regards to your concerns on the felling of the Catalpa tree in
Christchurch Gardens, the tree is unsafe due to the following defects.
The tree is one sided from previous limb removal due to decay.  The
remaining leader holds the weight of the top of the tree, this leader
has a large cavity.  With multiple cavities at the top of the tree the
entire tree is structurally weakened.  The location of the tree and the
extent of the defects it poses a health and safety risk being over a
footpath and exit of the church.

In regards to your suggestion to prop the tree up with supports, species
that are often held up by supports have different growth patterns and
are not known for their branches to easily snap.  A Mulberry is a good
example of a tree that can be supported.  This tree's species, height
and defects collectively do not make it a good candidate for propping or
supporting.

As I said on the phone, I am sad to see this go as they are a lovely
species, but I have to ensure the safety of users in the garden, we will
be replacing the tree.
Zoe Tuesday 21 February 2012 8.37pm
I'm really sad about this tree, I have walked under it so many times and it's such an unusual one. I have many happy memories of walking my dogs through christchurch on a sunny day on our way to the Southbank.

However I don't think BOST would let it be cut down it there wasn't a good reason, I hope they plant something great in it's place.
Tolstoy Thursday 23 February 2012 6.16pm
I walked through here today to see the offending tree and must say there are some wonderfully gnarly tree trunks in there.
Jan the old one Thursday 23 February 2012 7.05pm
What would happen if it was cut to a height say of seven feet or so? would it re-grow or sprout ? at least give it a chance....
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions