Please open up your wifi

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 22 February 2012 8.48am
This morning in my flat I note there are 15 different Wi-fi signals, yet mine is the only one that is unlocked.
Please unlock your Wi-Fi for the common good, the only people who are benefiting from this is BT.
Wednesday 22 February 2012 8.54am
WHAT??? you are kidding surely...
Wednesday 22 February 2012 9.26am
Actually many BT users' provide a semi- open service already. Newer HomeHubs provide a second Fon wifi channel. This is a reciprocal network - if you have Fon you can connect to any other Fon. BT cheekily also provides a paid OpenReach service from the newest HomeHubs.

There are potential security implications behind leaving your main network "open". With a bit if technical knowledge and settings these can be overcome, but just removing wifi security is not recommended.

The safest way is to set a second network (from the same router/broadband but it will act like a second network). You could either use something like Fon mentioned above, or if you use an open source firmware like DD-Wrt or Tomato it's baked in.

In summary if you don't understand it, don't do it.
Wednesday 22 February 2012 9.33am
Sorry Graham, this is really duff advice, and potentially could leave your internet banking access credentials and other important files on your computer very exposed to hackers. I could easily for example (if we were on the same network) use an incredibly simple keylogger to record everything you type into a web browser. Secure your Wi-fi network, ideally with a WPA2 password.

As Truthmonkey says, the FON channel on the BT homehub can be used for this type of thing, but it does use some rather sophisticated security protocols.

The area could benefit greatly from a Public WAN (see my other threads for my own broadband woes), but this isn't the correct way to go about it.

Sorry to jump all over you, but I don't think this is a good idea at all.
Wednesday 22 February 2012 12.01pm
graham,
I recently bought Sky Sports for my flat. I have left my front door unlocked, so you can use it anytime you need. There should be some beers in the fridge as well.
Wednesday 22 February 2012 12.25pm
Do you think his account has been frapped? :o)
Wednesday 22 February 2012 12.45pm
Ha!

To be fair to Graham, he's a very public-spirited chap (from previous posts), and I suspect this post was well-intentioned. I have previously let neighbours have my wi-fi code in the past when they were stuck. I assume that's the sort of thing he was encouraging, don't want to speak for him.

But yeah, leaving your home wifi unsecured is pretty much like leaving your front door wide open with your wallet and bank statements in convenient reach;-)
Zoe
Wednesday 22 February 2012 8.24pm
Hi Truth-monkey,

I'd like to get the second network, is there a good website to tell us how to do this? (I also have an amazing brother in law who will give me advice, so I'm not doing it be myself!!).

Just opening up your wifi is clearly a great idea if you can do it safely.
Wednesday 22 February 2012 8.41pm
That internet banking - is it any good?
Wednesday 22 February 2012 11.07pm
graham wrote:
This morning in my flat I note there are 15 different Wi-fi signals, yet mine is the only one that is unlocked.
Please unlock your Wi-Fi for the common good, the only people who are benefiting from this is BT.

Me thinks you are having a laugh - or someone is spoofing you via your "open" WiFi access.

Really bad advice Graham!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: