Helicopter AGAIN

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 23 February 2012 9.58pm
What are they doing? Huge noisy helicopter right over my roof circling round and round lower and lower and louder and louder, again and again, WHY?

Can we actually have a breakdown of how many criminals these ruddy noisy low flying menaces actually catch? If any?

Assuming they aren't just on an "exercise" to joyride round Tower Bridge and the ruddy Shard. Again.

Has anyone got a hotline number for the Civil Aviation Authority complaints?
Thursday 23 February 2012 10.05pm
Sigh.
Thursday 23 February 2012 10.39pm
I sent a letter to Simon Hughes regarding this just before Christmas,I was at beaking point,seemingly every other night the police helicopter was in the air circling,as you say Davies,lower and lower 2,3am,I could not for the life of me understand what they were up to,if it was accompanied by police car sirens then I could accept it,understanding that they were in pursuit of criminals,but no,no sirens,it turned out that there was an incident in Parliament sq,so why the circle reaching as far south as St Georges circus?It was only 30 or so herberts "storming" the sq after the eviction of the peace campaigners.
Of course Simon did his best for me and contacted the CAA and via him I received a letter explaining that I/we live in the "London city central zone"where there are rules and procedures regarding flights in this zone but that there were no constraints to the hours of operation on helicopter routes,also that night helicopter activity often involves the met police air supportunit (oh really).He goes on to say that if I experiance any further problems to contact the"aviation related enviromental enquiries"
Now this has to be a coincidence but there has been no night activity since.
This has to be challenged in my opinion,quite frankly I think they (the police)are taking the proverbial and not considering the lives of the public with their rather lazy policing.
Thursday 23 February 2012 11.31pm
If it's the helicopter that was at the end of Bermondsey St/Bermondsey Square, it seemed to be being accompanied by lots of blue flashing lights
Friday 24 February 2012 7.18am
Frustrating though it is (and I do sympathise) I think we have to accept that they don't just fly around for a bit of fun.
Friday 24 February 2012 8.13am
Have you ever watched any of the police programmes on TV, these helecopters are brilliant at searching out criminals, they have heat seeking equipment on board and can help the police on the ground find whoever, hiding on bins, bushes etc. No you don't always hear blues and two, never heard of silent approach.
I don't think you have been the victim of a serious crime, well a member of my family was seriously stabbed last year, two of the culprits were caught within an hour and every time I hear the helecopter my heart goes out to the victim whoever the are an I wish the police luck in catching the culprits.
We live in London, busy place lots of crime, and I for one am glad the police have this tool.
If you really want to see how many crimes in this area download the app bobbies or crime hotspots they will show you the reality of the situation. Although it doesn't show what time of the day these crimes happen, but I doubt many criminals just work 9 till 5, I'm sure it would be easier for the police if they did.
The police in this area are doing a damn good job at the moment, and not being able to use the helecopter at night would impede their ability to protect our community.
Friday 24 February 2012 8.42am
it was over us for quite a while last night but whilst annoying i tend to think it is there for a rason-i.e. to help catch/stop criminals so a minor annoyance in the short term is worth it
Friday 24 February 2012 10.57am
I accept most of the above(apart from the silent approach,they're quite loud) and of course I support the police in their efforts to protect us but when there are 30 scrufs on parliament sq i cannot understand why they have to hovver over St georges circus (at 3am)which is a built up residential area,I watched the helicopter from my window,it was impossible to sleep,and their actions took some working out I can tell you.
Saturday 25 February 2012 2.47pm
Sadly the police helicopter flies at night for a reason, and I'm sure it doesn't fly overhead built up areas just to wake people up for a laugh.

A lot of the work of our emergency services happens "behind the cordons" - but if you had a better understanding of what was happening/happened, I'm sure you would appreciate why the helicopter had been deployed.

With that rather large sporting event taking place in London in a few months time, expect to see and hear more of our emergency services on London's streets.

Below is a link to the Met Police website and the air support unit; maybe it will answer a few questions you have as to its role and function

http://www.met.police.uk/asu/whatwedo.htm
Saturday 25 February 2012 6.58pm
boroughonian wrote:
I accept most of the above(apart from the silent approach,they're quite loud) and of course I support the police in their efforts to protect us but when there are 30 scrufs on parliament sq i cannot understand why they have to hovver over St georges circus (at 3am)which is a built up residential area,I watched the helicopter from my window,it was impossible to sleep,and their actions took some working out I can tell you.

I did mean you dont always hear the police cars, they do the silent approach. I do understand it wakes me up too, the last one to wake us up was going round and round over by the river, a couple of days later we read someone had fallen in and died, whether the helicopter we had heard was that incident I don't know but ...

Have you looked at the crime hotspots app yet? it shows every crime (not details) by type on every street, I was shocked and it doesn't include drugs raids or other serious crimes. Check it out, and next time you hear the helicopter in t he middle of the night you will be very glad your safe indoors. The figures up at the moment are for December, but before we all want to move out of the area, most of the figures are average, if you look at other areas they're worse than us.

I'd advise buying some ear plug, but then would you hear the alarm in the morning (joke)
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: