Gold Ring Scam in Shad Thames area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
LondonStan Monday 27 February 2012 5.53pm
Please be aware of an old scam that has arrived in Shad Thames area. A dark swarthy man of Eastern European appearance, aged about mid 40s, with tattoo on the hand.. claims to have found gold ring where you are standing/sitting and after intially walking away he returns and offers you the ring to keep, saying it is your lucky day. He then presses for money, just 10 so he can buy a meal. It's been around European capital cities for years but now seems to arrived in London. The ring is fake, even though it seems to have a hall mark.. it's copper with fake plated gold.

Advertisement

Thebunhouse Wednesday 29 February 2012 9.13am
This scam has re-appeared with a vengeance over the last couple of weeks in the area of the South bank and environs . It is operated by both men and women (Romanian/Eastern European appearance/accent) and as has been stated the usual trick is the scammer stands alongside the victim at the kerbside bends down and pretends to pick up The Ring and then offers it to the victim for a fiver or so.The jewellers on Lower Marsh get up to 2/3 victims trying to get the brass rings valued every week (currently).Most crestfallen victims say that they found it rather than admit they have been conned.
All that glisters is not gold.
suziq Wednesday 29 February 2012 9.36am
Am I the only one who wonders why anyone would buy a lost or stolen ring, fake gold or otherwise? If it was real gold, it would probably be precious to the person who lost it, regardless of value. If it's fake, quite frankly any buyer deserves to be conned.
Boss St Bloke Wednesday 29 February 2012 10.27pm
suziq wrote:
Am I the only one who wonders why anyone would buy a lost or stolen ring

Greed. Pure and simple.

Brendan D Thursday 1 March 2012 3.42am
This happened to me parked in Bond St last year in my Spitfire.
I looked at the ring. Looked a heavy gold one, gave it back to the guy and suggested he hand it in at the police station as I was too busy and he was the one that found it!
Wondered why he seemed a bit pissed off......

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions