Council tax discounts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 28 February 2012 10.40am
Do the council tax rules apply to all councils? I am sure that when my husband was alive, our council tax dropped a band because he was receiving attendance allowance. I have just spoke to bromley c/tax because my auntie and uncle both in their eighties have recently been awarded attendance allowance. The young lady as pleasant as she was insisted that would only apply if one room was converted etc., which non have.

Unless I have lost the plot completely I know I have seen something relating to this online, but can't for the life of me remember where. having both worked since the age of 14 I dont think they would be eligible for benefits...My auntie was still cleaning shops at almost 80...and officially too!

So here I go again throwing meself at your mercy. you lot must be fed up with your old online pal!
Tuesday 28 February 2012 10.47am
Hi Jan

A room does not have to specially built, but in order to qualify for a reduction in Council Tax banding the 'essential or of major importance' test needs to be met. The home needs to have been modified to meet the needs of a disabled person for whom the home is their main residence (for example if they most live in residential care and just visit occasionally this would not apply).

It must have at least one of:

* an additional bathroom or kitchen required to meet the needs of the disabled person

* a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) required to meet the needs of the disabled person, and used predominantly by them

* extra space inside the property to allow for the use of a wheelchair - wheelchairs for outdoor use only are excluded
Tuesday 28 February 2012 10.54am
It looks to me like they need to be 'severely mentally impaired' and have a doctor's certificate to say so.
The woman at the council is paid a decent wage to do a relatively simple job. I wouldn't assume she can do it.
Tuesday 28 February 2012 11.53am
Mental impairment is a similar but separate Council Tax treatment.

The discount I mention above for physical disabled persons (in the form of one lower CT band) is intended to reflect that those with a physical impairment may need to live in a large property than they otherwise might.

Mental impairment is dealt with by discounting the person from CT calculations. Therefore if they live with just their partner it will be be counted as 'single occupancy' and the 25% discount given by most councils will apply. If the only other person in the property is a non-spousal carer then that person also does not 'count' and the property will be, for CT purposes, considered 'vacant'. There is usually no CT due in this case - often called Category U Exemption.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network